Sponsored by:

freshly rebuilt 4l60e issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freshly rebuilt 4l60e issues

Hi,

I have a very close to stock 1998 ls1 camaro. It has a freshly rebuilt 4l60e with the 8-9 clutch setup from alto in it called their "power pack". It also has a power torque converter in there which has been in there awhile. The transmission failed in the 4th gear on a relatively new rebuild (2500 miles) due to the pistons having not been replaced at the last rebuild.

My friend decided he would rebuild the tranny and recommended the power pack from alto. He also turned up the trans pressure half a turn he said. The tranny runs fine other than when the car is cold (and by cold i mean florida 60 degrees cold) and you first start it and then put it into drive, it shifts into drive so abruptly that it feels like you've been rear ended by a car going about 5mph. Other than that, the transmission works perfectly. Should I have him turn the trans pressure back to normal or is that a sign of a further issue?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Buy a trans pressure and connect it to see what the pressure is at idle. It shouldn't be much more than about 85psi and I suspect it is higher. On Amazon look up "ATD-5550"; the gauge is only $34 with free shipping if you are a Prime member.

My suggestion would be to turn the pressure back to normal, but while you have the pan off, install the Sonnax 4L60E-LB1 boost valve. It is only $30 and can be installed in 2 minutes needing only a set of snap ring pliers. It will raise line pressure (gradually) across the board and increase the max line pressure. It will give you slightly firmer shifts and extend the life of the trans.

Quick Reply: freshly rebuilt 4l60e issues