Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 - convert 4wd to 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60 - convert 4wd to 2wd

Found good deal on a 4l60e 4wd trans, but I want a 2wd. Is there a kit for this conversion available? Cost??? Would it just be cheaper to find a 2wd trans?
Mike
Old 02-11-2015, 04:51 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

You need the 2wd output shaft and the correct tail housing for your car.
A trans mechanic could theoretically swap from the 4wd to the 2wd output shaft in about an hour. However assuming the trans has many miles on it, in reality the teflon seals will likely tear, the band will be worn, the reverse drum too pitted for a new band, the 3/4 clutch on its last legs, etc. In other words, it is a very slippery slope to a complete rebuild.

Also remember that pre-'98 and V6 transmissions do not bolt up directly to LS engines and vice versa.
Also remember that '94 and '95 models only work with PCMs from that exact same year.

Why not post what year trans you are considering buying and what year vehicle and engine type you have. If a custom car, what year is the PCM.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

I bought the output shaft and tailhousing for mine off ebay for $75. I'm having the tranny built at a local shop. THe parts to do the actual conversion are cheap, it's all the parts between the pump and the outputshaft you are replacing that can get expensive.

I figured if it had to be torn down, it might as well get rebuilt.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk465
I bought the output shaft and tailhousing for mine off ebay for $75. I'm having the tranny built at a local shop. The parts to do the actual conversion are cheap, it's all the parts between the pump and the output shaft you are replacing that can get expensive.

I figured if it had to be torn down, it might as well get rebuilt.
Exactly. It makes no sense to open a 100,000 mile tranny without rebuilding it.

The answers to the questions in my previous post will let us determine whether the trans is even compatible.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses. I think you guys sorta confirmed my thoughts. Just look for a 2wd trans.
Mike

Quick Reply: 4l60 - convert 4wd to 2wd