Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80E reverse hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80E reverse hesitation

Ive got a 4l80e that I bought and refreshed myself. After tearing into it I found that all of the clutches were in great shape. While in it I did the dual feed mod and drilled a hole in the drum to prevent centrifugal apply. I also drilled out the shift feed hole for faster shifts. Now the trans is working great except that it has a hesitation going into reverse. As soon as I put it in reverse I feel 1 soft bump and then a few seconds later it bumps again and is firm. It will easily over power the breaks in reverse. Whats going on? is it something to worry much about?
Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 AM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that it doesnt matter if it is hot or cold, it does the exact same thing every time. Also the tranny temps run 160 in this heat with a stall converter. I bought a good cooler and am amazed at how cool this thing runs. It has a fan on it and it never gets warm enough for it to come on.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Anybody?
Old 06-20-2015, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to remove the reverse (#9) check ball in the valve body. You've basically doubled the volume required to fill the direct clutch, plugged the reverse circuit from feeding the direct, and then drilled a hole in the drum, so it's going to take longer to fill up and apply the direct. By removing the check ball it will fill a lot faster.

I have the same hesitation issue and I was told this is how to fix it. Unfortunately, I went back to stock before applying the fix.

Here's a thread I made awhile back: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ent-4l80e.html

Quick Reply: 4l80E reverse hesitation