Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help 4l60e problems after couple of track passes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 4l60e problems after couple of track passes

So a little back ground 98 z28 stock motor w/bolt ons north Texas converter 3600 stall gm reman trans Car drove fine yesterday did some practice launches on the back roads ran great. Today went to the track, drove just fine on the way 25 min drive 55mph, got to track let it cool down just a bit made a pass ran fine shifted fine, made sec pass ran fine shifted fine made third pass and when I got back to pits car was acting funny tring to stall out n die got to my spot and it did die. Started it back up I could here a knocking/ whinning / grinding sound put it in rev and it dies, start it back up put it in d it dies still making the sounds, when I try to get it to move it just revs high then might start to move some easier in rev than in drive. Let the car cool off some tried to see if I could limp it home , I started driving it seemed like it was in 3rd or 4th instead of 1st made it about 150 yards n lost all power out put would just rev, pulled over let it sit started it back up made it back to where I started 150yards down the road back to a safer place to be parked again it drove just a little ways the started acting like it was gonna stall out the motor or almost how they sputter before u run out of gas lol then again I lost all out put and it would just rev.
I left it at the track gonna go get it tomo . So figured I get it home and take a look I feel like it's the torque converter making the noise. Where should I start with this drain fluid and check for big metal shavings, the stall has been in there a year never have had it retuned did that burn it up premature or does it sound like maybe an internal tranny issue. I have a vid of the sounds but can't get it to load could email tho
Thanks for any help

Last edited by Drj8787; 06-26-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

My car did something like that when the torque converter broke, but the engine never died. The torque converter or trans is broken either way I’m sure it’s terminal.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got it home today it's on the trailer I've got no room in my garage right now. When I picked it up I started put it into gear had nothing in any of them. Gonna have to figure out where I'm pulling the trans at I've got a 67 mustang coupe that I'm working on in there and it's original 289 and c4 in there, I just need to sell that stuff I'm puting ls back in lol
Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gonna tare down my 4l60e this weekend start figuring out what if any hard parts are needed. This will be the first 4l60e rebuild I've done anything or certain parts I need to pay extra special attention to? I plan on doing a full rebuild that will be worthy of 600rwhp haven't come up with a list of what parts Im gonna use any suggestions is appreciated. Been looking at trutrans kits. There was no big metal parts or shavings really in the pan a lot of very fine brass tho and what looked like clutch fibers. I had nothing in any gear but when I checked the fluid not running and running the level did change
Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drj8787
Gonna tare down my 4l60e this weekend start figuring out what if any hard parts are needed. This will be the first 4l60e rebuild I've done anything or certain parts I need to pay extra special attention to? I plan on doing a full rebuild that will be worthy of 600rwhp haven't come up with a list of what parts Im gonna use any suggestions is appreciated. Been looking at trutrans kits. There was no big metal parts or shavings really in the pan a lot of very fine brass tho and what looked like clutch fibers. I had nothing in any gear but when I checked the fluid not running and running the level did change
Thanks
I liked my trutechtrans kit. Was very comprehensive. I know they have some more expensive kits for higher horsepower applications.

Quick Reply: Help 4l60e problems after couple of track passes