Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much difference would a fan make

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default How much difference would a fan make

I just installed a pretty decent sized stack plate cooler right behind the front grill of the car and away from the radiator. In this location pretty much the entire cooler is exposed to the opening in the bumper so it should get ample airflow while moving.

I didn't get the fan version as I thought that due to the fact that it's so exposed to front of the car that it would be ok (and so far I have no reason to think otherwise). But after reading some more threads on coolers, it seems the best ones are with fans attached.

Is that because a working fan cools the fluid that much better than just airflow from driving or are most people using fans because they tend to put their coolers in spots where there's little to no natural airflow available?

Would it make a huge difference if I added a fan on top of the natural airflow available or does it not really matter at that point since it's located exposed in the front of the car?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When I did what you said my temps went through the roof. The truth is, air doesnt flow through the bumper, remember air is a fluid, that takes up space, similar to say water. When that flow of air hits the car the car splits it in two so it can get through it. The tiny bit thats left over cant go into the bumper because there is already air there, sitting still, and taking up space. You would have to make a full flow through design for the air to come into then leave the bumper in an effective manner. The radiator cools the car due to the scoop that reaches down and channels the airflow back into the blocked off channel that leads straight to the radiator. Remember, fluid takes the path of least resistance, and the bumper is the opposite of that. And yes I had to add a fan for the hot weather months.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe a picture is better to represent what I'm talking about. Basically the cooler sits right behind the opening of the lower grill and is pretty much the same size as said opening (none of the rows are blocked by the bumper). And it actually sits right in the mouth of the scoop that you mentioned.

So you're saying in this location it wouldn't get much airflow at speed?

Old 07-09-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

What kind of car is this? If the bumper is designed to accept air, like traditional car grills, then yes the air can flow through being as there is an out. Fbodies bumpers dont have that, so airflow is slim. Even the wifes SUV has un underside air dam then the lower side of the bumper is near hollow to channel air back up. Fluid dynamics is interesting to say the least.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a GTO sorry for not mentioning that. That first picture above is a closeup of that long wide bottom grill which as in this pic. Just trying to see if it makes sense to add a fan or if this is enough airflow and a fan won't do much besides when sitting still which doesn't really matter.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know nothing about GTOs but it looks like the car is designed to accept air into the bottom grill opening. If thats the case then it should be fine.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go on silicone intakes. Com you can get a fan for like 30$ maybe even cheaper put it on cooler . It will need it around town since it won't get air flow from rad fans
Old 07-19-2015, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I have my cooler installed in the same place as you, but in the f-body perspective.

With hot temps here in the valley, and after a handful of hard passes, the temps will creep around 200*F. Just a little too hot for my liking, so I'll most likely get a fan on it soon. Its cheap insurance and its got to help a bit.

Quick Reply: How much difference would a fan make