Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 question(s) and help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TH400 question(s) and help

I've been looking to buy a TH400 for my "Sled" project (68 convertible corvette pro-street) in which I will be running a LS 5.3 turbo. This is not intended to be a drag car at all, just a hotrod, something cool to putts around with somewhere around 650-700 crank hp, nothing "stupid".

I used to have a JW th400 with t-brake in a different car so naturally I started looking at them again.
I am a little confused with their hp ratings: the two I saw both have reverse manual VB (no t-brake), one is drag free, rated at 1000hp, the other is not and rated at 800hp. I emailed them and they said internally they both use the same components, one being drag free is the only difference.
I'm not sure I understand why "drag free" nets you 200 additional ponies of holding power (and I can't find the answer online either…)
Does anyone know?

Next I looked at FTI TH400 level 4, which is rated at 900 but this one has a billet forward hub and a T-brake, which the JW do not, thus I raised my eyebrow and wondered what the truth is between all those hp ratings. FTI equivalent to the JW would be their level 3 it seems, which is rated at 750

Price wise, the FTi level 4 cost 200$ more (and chage) than their level 3 or the JW 800/1000hp one. It's not a huge difference but I don't like spending more than I need or is justified. I honestly don't think I need the level 4 FTI trans, though I could be wrong…

Thoughts?

Last edited by mirage2991; 07-30-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my opinion is a war between brands and how to justify charge more for their transmissions. Everything is about advertising the better it looks and sound the more money we can justify to charge for the same stuff.

Quick Reply: TH400 question(s) and help