Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performabuilt Level 3 - **Update**

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Performabuilt Level 3 - **Update**

I just got my Performabuilt Level 3 (with Smart Drum) back from a re-fresh in May 2015 (nothing wrong with it - it held strong for 200 runs at 250-300 shot but had the motor out so had the tranny re-freshened at the same time). Any way, no fault of the tranny, but I was racing this past Friday and somehow the line-lock became engaged or partially engaged at the starting line and I launched with a 275 shot! I bogged and stuttered after the initial hard launch. I ran another pass at 9.94 at 138.3 and everything seemed fine. Next pass I knew something was up because it just felt weird and I had to get out of it at 1/3 track. I drove it home at only 40 mph about 30 miles - it was shuddering at initial throttle at each stop and almost made the car feel like it was missing. It shifted fine, I watched the temp which never went above 160 on the drive home. The next morning I started it up and drove it on to a flatbed to have towed to my mechanic. With the car at an angle on the flatbed the transmission fluid was literally flowing out the tail stock! I also noticed fluid all under the car, on the rear bumper and even a mist on the rear spoiler so it was likely losing fluid on the drive home. Anyone have any ideas of likely cause? I don't know anything about transmissions but I'm hoping it might be a serviceable seal in the tail housing that blew out from excessive pressure?

This is not a negative on Performabuilt in any way. I'm very happy with how this tranny has held up and their service. The line-lock issue was just an unfortunate fluke and I know I will likely have to send back to Performabuilt for repair....

Last edited by CanadianEh!; 08-22-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Busted Tail Housing?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you may have broken the tail housing, I would look at that first and hope the lack of support of the tail shaft caused no additional damage, If you need us give us a call,
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-17-2015, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How much extra was the smart drum on the Level 3? I only see that option being offered on the black and wasn't aware it was available for lower levels.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, you can PM me if you like.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
How much extra was the smart drum on the Level 3? I only see that option being offered on the black and wasn't aware it was available for lower levels.

Sorry for highjacking your thread, you can PM me if you like.
I'm not sure I remember....better to ask Frank at Performabuilt.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the responses guys! You were both right - busted tail housing. New tail housing and seals and it appears tranny is 100%. I consider myself very lucky that it didn't cause more severe damage! Putting almost 800 rwhp through this tranny and it's held up extremely well!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:30 PM
9 Second Club

A little update from my previous comments. The Tail Housing was not broken, however, the bushing was completely torn apart and the bushing surfaces gaulled beyond repair. We still required a new Tail Housing and bushing but everything seems to work 100%. My mechanic feels the cause was my drive-shaft had developed a severe vibration that could have destroyed the bushing after many hard launches. The driveshaft was the only original price of the drive-train and we have now ordered a custom one which should handle the abuse better. Hope to be back racing this week!

Quick Reply: Performabuilt Level 3 - **Update**