Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still having 4l60e problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still having 4l60e problems

Okay so I got a fully rebuilt transmission and decided to install a 3200 stall in with it. After installation it only has 1st and 2nd gear. Originally it posted a dtc for the 2-3 shift solenoid so I replaced it and cleared the code and am still having the same problem. I noticed in the harness when replacing the solenoid that there were some breaks in the wire and was wondering if these could possibly be the culprit however after replacing the solenoids I no longer get any codes at all. Car shifts into second but will just continue to speed up in second if throttle is pressed but if I let completely off it goes down to idle. I understand that this could lead to the 3-4 clutches being bad but I'd like to test everything I possibly can before I have to remove the Trans again. Any ideas for things it could possibly be would be extremely appreciated

Thanks guys
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If the 3-4 clutch is bad the trans will shift to 3rd, and typically slip at high throttle, hitting the rev limiter.
If it acts like you have the shifter is in D2 - it simply stays solidly in 2nd gear up to redline with no attempt to shift - then either you have the shifter misadjusted, a shift solenoid is bad or the Manifold Pressure Switch (MPS) is bad. While the PCM will throw a code for an electrically open shift solenoid, they can also stick in the "On" position.
Unless you want to keep dropping the pan to replace one part at a time, I would suggest replacing both shift solenoids and the MPS. Optionally replace the harness too which typically comes with a new TCC solenoid. All quite easy to do.

I would suggest
Old 09-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks, I think that's my next move is replacing the harness and the rest of the solenoids. Could it in any way be a tuning issue by chance? Just want to knock all possibilities out before last resorting to pulling the trans
Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

If you disconnect the trans connector, the trans defaults to limp mode which is supposed to be 3rd gear. If a shift solenoid is stuck, you will be in 1st or 2nd instead.
Only way to be sure is to connect a scanner and confirm that the trans shifts according to what the PCM commands.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Teching In

If it starts in 3rd gear correctly, would this rule out the 3-4 clutches?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes if it starts out in 3rd gear and does not slip, the 3rd clutches are good.

Quick Reply: Still having 4l60e problems