Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceptable operating temp for Jakes Perf Stg 2 4L80E?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Acceptable operating temp for Jakes Perf Stg 2 4L80E?

I just bought back a turbo trans am I owned back in 2009-2011. I converted the car to a fmvb 4l80 when I owned the car the first time. Back then it always had issues with keeping temps down, but ended up having underlying issues with converter slip and drain back.
The trans in the car now is a jakes performance 4l80e with the Manila shift add on Jake offers. I had a gauge hooked up to the old trans but it didn't get hooked up to this one due to drain plug location on bottom vs side in the old pan. When under the car a few days ago I realized I could splice in a t-fitting for the sensor bung to read in the return line. I bought a couple adapters and installed the fitting and took the car our tonight to monitor what it was doing.
Just to reiterate the sensor is after the cooler on the line going back into the trans. While this may not be ideal, it was easiest to install. While cruising around from stop and go up to about 45mph temps were 150-160*. When I took a short 5 mile highway cruise at 70mph it was sitting at 155* steadily. When I exited the highway and went back to stop and go it got back up to up around 170-175*.
Currently the car has a m6 radiator so the only cooling it's seeing is going thru a b&m 12x12 cooler mounted in front of the ac condenser behind the intercooler using the stock puller fans.
How do these temps seem for the return line reading?

Last edited by Photochop; 09-04-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those seem about normal to me. At least what mine runs anyway. I have a stage 3 but should be the same for this though. What fluid do you run in it?
Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not sure what was used. Race proven motorsports out of DE did the work according to previous owner. Unless they use something different it looks like Jake recommends regulator Dexron III.
I had my tuner friend change the tune today to turn both fans on at 140* coolant temp, hope that will help some.
This cooler is just left of center and it's sitting against the condenser with the in and out ports facing the passengers side of the car. Should I try and orient it with the ports facing downward or would that eveb matter?
The numbers I was seeing last night aren't alarming to me, but I wasn't sure if they should be significantly lower due to being the temp after the cooler, with concern the fluid circulating in the trans pre-converter could be higher.

Quick Reply: Acceptable operating temp for Jakes Perf Stg 2 4L80E?