Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 failed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 failed...

Pulled my pan to start working on my trans issue I incurred last summer. Trans ran great for about a month last summer when I got my truck on the road finally. Last day I drove it, my trans pressure gauge was dropping to 0 psi at idle and then back up with throttle. Pulled the pan this eve to find pieces of the rear case roller thrust bearing laying in the pan. What would have caused this to happen? I checked my clearances when building but it looks like the bearing was loading hard against the case before it failed. The trans was built with a Jakes stage 2 kit and everything seemed to go together well. What should I be looking for when I pull it apart? Also, there was a slight hesitation between the 1-2 shift that I didn't like. What can I do to tighten that up? The trans has a manual reverse transbrake vb, was dual fed, and had about 220 psi line pressure. Need some insight before I rebuild again...
Old 03-02-2017, 05:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by southernsmoker
Pulled my pan to start working on my trans issue I incurred last summer. Trans ran great for about a month last summer when I got my truck on the road finally. Last day I drove it, my trans pressure gauge was dropping to 0 psi at idle and then back up with throttle. Pulled the pan this eve to find pieces of the rear case roller thrust bearing laying in the pan. What would have caused this to happen? I checked my clearances when building but it looks like the bearing was loading hard against the case before it failed. The trans was built with a Jakes stage 2 kit and everything seemed to go together well. What should I be looking for when I pull it apart? Also, there was a slight hesitation between the 1-2 shift that I didn't like. What can I do to tighten that up? The trans has a manual reverse transbrake vb, was dual fed, and had about 220 psi line pressure. Need some insight before I rebuild again...
Man that sucks. I don't know what would cause that, but I have a question. Did you really have a Torrington bearing against the case?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Torrington is a double caged roller that rides in its own race and the race rides against the case. You would have to be an idiot to put steel rollers against aluminum. It's part of the roller upgrade that Jake has in his kit.

Quick Reply: TH400 failed...