Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e Reverse Drum Clearance Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 4L60e Reverse Drum Clearance Question

I am rebuilding my 4L60e in my garage and all is going well until this small hiccup. I found a video online that says that I should have about 61mm of clearance from the bellhousing mounting surface and the top of the reverse input drum. Even if i take out the 3-4/forward clutch housing and place the drum directly on the drive shell, I only get about 54mm of clearance.

What is the correct clearance and what are some ideas as to what could be causing this?

Old 03-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Launching!

Bump

Here is a pic of the output shaft coming out of the rear case bushing. It appears to be installed with the correct height in the case.

And here is a pic of the snap ring that is installed on the end of the output shaft inside the trans

It would seem to me that if the output shaft is insalled in the correct place with the inner snap ring installed that the height of all the other components is correct as well. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I have never taken that measurement. I like you are saying if the shaft is all of the way into the case and the snap ring is in it should be good. You can install the pump with gasket and not the o-ring, snug down a few pump bolts and then see if the reverse drum will turn. If it turns freely, I would say all is good and continue putting it together.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bbond105
I have never taken that measurement. I like you are saying if the shaft is all of the way into the case and the snap ring is in it should be good. You can install the pump with gasket and not the o-ring, snug down a few pump bolts and then see if the reverse drum will turn. If it turns freely, I would say all is good and continue putting it together.
I guess that's what ill do. Everything else seems fine. shaft turns easy clockwise, and is harder to turn counterclockwise just like its suppose to. tiny bit of end play on the input shaft. It all checks out. Onward!!!

Quick Reply: 4L60e Reverse Drum Clearance Question