Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Manually shifting to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
I could be wrong, but i didnt see you say you checked the gear selector switch.
I checked the PRNDL switch. I went into the tune and changed from "None" to "PN" to "PRNDL" with the same result. I also unplugged it with the same result.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about the 1-2 Accumulator

edit, i guess that wouldnt be it because you can shift to 1st with hp tuners.

Try another PCM
Old 11-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
What about the 1-2 Accumulator

edit, i guess that wouldnt be it because you can shift to 1st with hp tuners.
Yep I can command 1st with HPT. brand new piston and o-rings in it too
Old 06-08-2019, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by stomperxj
Yep I can command 1st with HPT. brand new piston and o-rings in it too
Did anyone ever find an answer to this situation? My 97 gmc with 4L60e after rebuild is doing the exact same thing and Ive tried everything even adjusting the neutral safety switch. It automatically shifts fine just wont shift into 1st manually.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:31 AM

Default No manual shift to first

Originally Posted by Sherry Neely
Did anyone ever find an answer to this situation? My 97 gmc with 4L60e after rebuild is doing the exact same thing and Ive tried everything even adjusting the neutral safety switch. It automatically shifts fine just wont shift into 1st manually.

The 2 piece shifter cable that runs from column back down threw a metal spiral bracket under carpet, threw grommet then under the truck to the second cable can be tightened at said connection. Dont know if that will help but there is a problem from where that cable hooks under dash down to where it ends on transmission. If it's to loose it wont make all the positions. Too tight it'll take a lot of force to shift in gear. Changing cable isnt bad other than that spiral bracket that cable intertwines up through to keep from rubbing against steering column I assume. It can be an uncomfortable position to get at the bolt that holds said spiral bracket in place but not even certain f bodys or g bodys have this bracket like the trucks with the 60E but Im pretty sure they have this type of bracket. Anyway, I know this is an old thread but hopefully this helps someone else searching for answers about this problem. I'd start with that cable though if only problem is not being able to manually shift to first and in drive it shifts fine in first to second and back to first. Cable is in a bind somewhere and is not a transmission problem if that's the only issue.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Manually shifting to 1st