Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the right Performance rebuild? 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the right Performance rebuild? 4L60E

Story (can skip to read the main question bellow): I own a white 3.8 97 bone stock 200hp Camaro and about 3 1/2 years ago I had a transmission fluid change that showed my transmission was nearing its end, the entire pan was filled with thick black burnt goop, the magnet was filled with so much silver metal sludge as well as the gears on top of the pan. Ironicly considering the history of issues some 4L60e's had, my transmission was a f#$kin tank, its been 5,000 miles already and there is barely any slippage or lag in shifting gears, though it is evident that it is slowly growing in lag, I have money on standby for the time when a full rebuild is ready but I want to have performance grade parts instead of stock. So here is the question.

Question: What type of performance grade parts can I get that are at a "decent price" (couple more hundreds worth more than stock) I do not need crazy 800hp capable parts, just performance parts that are more durable than stock, can increase my transmission's shift ratio greatly compared to stock, and the rpm areas that the transmission shifts in will still allow me to in the end, have gas mileage close if not better than stock. I also heard there's performance parts that add a 5th gear, turning the transmission into a 5 speed if that might help with gas mileage.

In the end I want a rebuild kit that can allow better shift ratios for a tiny bit better acceleration, be performance grade so that the parts can last better (parts that handle more torque, hp, higher temperature= better durability for daily driving) And does not decrease my gas mileage badly.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

With a stock 3.8 stock type parts are going to be fine. You're not going to be making anywhere near enough power to start having to use upgraded pieces.

That being said, basic valve body mods via a Transgo shift kit and/or Sonnax pieces can improve your transmission's operation and performance. That and some electronic tuning (shift points, shift times, etc.)

Last edited by RevGTO; 03-20-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not looking for performance grade parts for the power aspect as much as I want to utilize the better quality performance grade parts provide so that my transmission would be hopefuly more sturdier and have faster shifts, I would love to floor the car alot more knowing that I do not have to worry about the transmission being stressed out if you know what I mean.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Like I said, basic valvebody mods will take care of your needs along with whatever is needed for a stock rebuild. I recommend a search on this forum for Transgo HD-2 and Sonnax shift kits. Either one of these or a combination of pieces will give you the shift quality you want.

if you're looking for a full rebuild kit to achieve these goals, you may wish to talk to Dana at Pro Built Automatics (if you can reach him).
Old 03-22-2017, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just do a stock rebuild with an transgo kit as previously stated. I'm full boltons and heads on my z28 and I have no problems holding the power. My 5.3 4wd truck has tq management tuned out, and just rolled over 170k with the bone stock 4l60e. Truck makes way more power and torque than a 3800 and weighs at least 1000lbs more and has never given me a problem even through hard driving in 4wd and 2wd.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...arts-list.html

Quick Reply: What is the right Performance rebuild? 4L60E