Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e problems after rebuild no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e problems after rebuild no reverse

ok my dad just got done rebuilding my 4l80e he rebuilt automatic transmissions for a living for 15 years but that was when 4l80es were just starting to come out so he does not have a lot of expereance with them. it has a new circle d multi disc converter , all new alto red rebuild kit with kolene steels , anti walk out case bushing and transgo hd2 kit . I wired it up externally according to the sloppy wiki page instructions for it to shift full manual and now that its together it has no reverse , the lockup does not work when I ground the wire , 1-2 shift is great but 2-3 and 3-4 is weak and seams to slip under a lot of power on those shifts . I took the pan off and all the wires are getting power so I tried gounding all the shift solenoid wires and pressure manifold wires and that just locked it in 3rd. i sm not sure if its the trans or the wiring but i wired it up exactly how i was supposed to any guesses would be greatly appreciated. it is a 83 ltd wagon with gen 4 4.8 twin 59mm garret turbos running on microsquirt. 2000 model 4l80e thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Reverse is a totally mechanical function so not wiring related if you have no reverse its either an issue with the Low / Reverse band or the direct clutch mechanical .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-27-2017, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you measure the reverse pin for proper engagement, reverse failure is very common in 4l80e due to that as well as the reverse band itself. he should if installed a new reverse band during install as well and made sure the drum did not have escess wear. jakes performance has a how to in setting up the reverse band and rod clearence.

Quick Reply: 4l80e problems after rebuild no reverse