Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e late 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

Default 4l80e late 2nd gear

I am new to this transmission and have read about late shifts with higher horsepower, but haven't really found an existing solution except 'set your shift lower and lower until its where you want it' which doesn't seem very good if you are adjusting boost levels often.

so i did a quick log of gear and some tstates and it is commanding the shift at the right time, and the solenoids appear to do what they're supposed to. Solenoid A turns off as soon as gear 2 is commanded, but then it takes 0.7 seconds/1100rpm in this one specific case for the rpm drop to take place.
all of my shift times are zeroed out.
is there something i can do to make this more immediate? the shifts always feel very firm, there is no indication of slipping. I used Jake's valve body plate and instructions and normal driving it seems to do exactly what its supposed to.
usually it doesn't shift until it bangs the rev limit at 7200 which may or may not be ok but its a little nerve racking.

thanks for any input.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Not really fact is hydraulics are not instant and take time you can close this gap only so much , The time from command to shift at any given throttle will remain constant. So if you increase power more RPM will pass during this time, You just have to find some compromise that works for your various setting's or tune for each change in boost,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 338 Posts

I had a manual valve body th350 a long time ago and it seemed pretty instant no matter what.
I guess these new electronically controlled transmission just have a lot more volume to move around to apply gears?
are the manual valve body 4l80es quicker to react?

Quick Reply: 4l80e late 2nd gear