Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does manual work on 4l80e?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does manual work on 4l80e?

m sick of waiting for Holley to figure out the issue Im having so Id like to diagnose the issue myself if i can. Here is what is happening. I had/have a Jakes 4l80e Manual box ive used for years perfectly. I got the holley setup last year and this year decided Id like holley to control the trans when cruising then just flip a switch and run full manual when i race. So when I flip the switch I have a gear select on my dash I can see it says its in 4th gear when im in drive. I can shift 1-3 no problem but wont go back into 4th unless i put it in neutral then back to 4th. Very odd. So im just trying to understand how me manually shifting the car sends the signal to shift the solenoid. I verified that its not a shift linkage issue by putting my Jakes box back on and it works perfect. Any help here is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it full manual through the Holley ecu? Might be an interlock they have installed or maybe a setting need changed? I ran a micro squirt with no issues on the full manual mode
Old 05-13-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea this is going through Holley. It 100% works perfectly in automatic mode all gears work. I sent tune to Holley they said it looks good.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Video I sent Holley.

https://youtu.be/qjS4R242TJk
Old 05-13-2017, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Just thinking here. There is the pressure switch manifold inside bolted to the valve body. Does Holley include a truth chart for each gear? I can link you to an ms chart if you'd like, it would be all the same. This way you can see as the gears change what pins have voltage and which don't. Maybe in Manual mode it's not pressureint correctly till after you bring it to neutral. What happens if you leave it in auto mode and cruise in D, then upshift to OD?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never tried to cruise in D then upshift to overdrive when in automatic mode can try that tomorrow. As far as holley tune not sure what a truth chart means, (wire diagram??)

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev15.pdf

page 40
Old 05-13-2017, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

The truth chart shows what the pressure manifold should be doing on each pin

I'll find it really quick

Here you go. Page 24 shows what each of the 3 pins from the pressure manifold should have. These pins wire directly to the ecu so there in the harness

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Trans_Control-1.0.pdf

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 05-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I got your diagram printed along with Holley to compare what should I be looking for do you think ? Also what solenoid or wire would do the 3-4 shift?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

All the solenoids have to work the same regardless of the ecu. Make sure the pressure manifold pins abc are doing what there told and the solenoid outputs are switch too. It might be in manual mode that the pressure manifold is switching to the ecu, but the Holley is not commanding the upshift

Again, is manual mode maybe intended for race purpose only? And it locks you out of overdrive maybe?

Last edited by Nathaninwa; 05-14-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
All the solenoids have to work the same regardless of the ecu. Make sure the pressure manifold pins abc are doing what there told and the solenoid outputs are switch too. It might be in manual mode that the pressure manifold is switching to the ecu, but the Holley is not commanding the upshift

Again, is manual mode maybe intended for race purpose only? And it locks you out of overdrive maybe?
talked to Holley today and this tech is telling me that I have to have micro switch or something to tell the computer to shift. Which is paddle shift mode in Holley. probably just taking the harness out cuz it doesn't make sense why it shifts 1-3 without the paddle shift mode.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

That is strange. I'm not familiar with the Holley but my microsquirt has auto mode, manual mode so we can do a proper second gear into high gear burn out, paddle shift mode and a tps switched race mode which ignores the upshift tables and reverts to an rpm based upshift

Quick Reply: How does manual work on 4l80e?