Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inconsistent stall convertor

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inconsistent stall convertor

ive been searching on here and havent found anyone with this issue so looking for some input. I got a 99 trans am with built 4l60e, and a new edge 3800 stall convertor. car also has a ms3 cam.
after installing the new convertor I drove it easy for first 120 miles or so, then I started to have some fun with it. then that night it started acting weird. if im going 60mph and lightly accelerate the rpms will rise 200rpm then upshift, bogging it down. or if im slowly accelrating from a stop when it gets up to 40mph the convertor will lock unlock lock unlock until you get up to 50mph.
this problem only occurs after about 15 minutes of driving and will usually stop acting up after 30 minutes of driving or so. when it is doing this i can tap the brake and it will stall the rpms back up to where they should be. or if you accelerate harder it will act normal.
im really scratching my head on this, any help is appreciated
Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Did you have it tuned after ?
Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

no, when i bought the car it had the ms3 cam and a tune but was on the stock convertor. i was waiting to do more mods before dishing out the money for another tune.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

With going that big of converter you absolutely need a tune to get the tables squared away with the speed and extra converter slip.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

okay thanks, it just seems so odd how it only acts up for a short period of time and then goes back to normal. I thought it may have been a sensor causing it to do this. do you think this could hurt my car or trans driving it like this for the moment?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NA99T/A
okay thanks, it just seems so odd how it only acts up for a short period of time and then goes back to normal. I thought it may have been a sensor causing it to do this. do you think this could hurt my car or trans driving it like this for the moment?
In general I think it will be fine. I would not lay into it tho.
And manually running it threw the gears instead of letting the car do it may help the drivability until you get it tuned

Quick Reply: inconsistent stall convertor