Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4l60e shifting issues

A few months back I was driving and my 96z wouldn't shift out of 1st...the next day it shifted fine but after letting it sit it would engage into rev and 1st so hard that the car would stall on me and then it through a code 1810... I replaced the pressure manifold switch with an aftermarket from rock auto cause it's all I could get at the time ...after it still engages hard at initial startup and it also started slipping if I get on the throttle but is fine when 1/4 throttle or less...any thoughts on the culprit..,.i ordered a gm pms and am replacing all switches and tcc with gm or equivalent were I can't get the gm stuff....any ideas if this might do the trick or if it's just a crap shoot...the only thing I've done with this trans in the last 20000 miles since it was built was install an ati 3600 converter in it....
Btw the fluid looked clean with minimum material in the pan( slight thin coat on spots in bottom of pan)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Illegal pressure switch manifold position codes can also be caused by a faulty internal harness & external wiring problems.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Well changed out all the sensors ans switches...new harness....took it for a short drive and other then soft shifting it shifted ok....still stalled at for a bit when putting it into drive or reverse but smoothed out after a few times doing it....ill drive it some more tomorrow to see how it goes
Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

We'll took it for a drive and knock on wood all seems fine now so hopefully it was just the pms or one if the switches or pissible even a sticky valve doing it but everything seemed back to normal and working good now
Old 06-21-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

Thank you for the update and glad to hear the trans is working better now.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so problem not fixed I guess...
I drove it the other day and all was fine and then out of no where it shifted from 2nd to I suppose slipping third because I had nothing...let it sit checked the fluid and reset my tps and drove it and it wouldn't shift past 2nd( would just pretty much redline and not try to upshift)...
B4 I wanted to jump into thinking my trans dumped on me I tried to put it into limp mode by unplugging the harness,.. When I did so she went into gear just fine so am I correct in the understanding that this was 3rd gear so my 3/4 clutch pack hopefully didn't **** the bed and this is possible a valve body or solenoid(electrical) issue...

Also to verify this is a 96 model...are all shift(a,b),3/2,epw,and pwm solenoid a the same throughout the years it was a harness with tcc and solenoids kit that I put into it with all parts being gm but the epw which was a Borg Warner and the pwm looked differant then the one I pulled out ...

Sorry long post and probably horrible grammar and reading just stress on this and don't want or can't afford another trans build on this when this one cost me enough when it was put in 30000 miles ago
Old 08-06-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Okay I dug into the valve body and here are some of the discoveries I found...
There were 7 check ***** on the separator plate as there should be
The plate had been repaired on the 1-2 CB spot,all other holes seem fine and not to bad
The CB in the case isn't there and the lo reverse ball isn't there either
The 3-4 capsule ball is moving freely up and down like it should
All valves and springs moved freely in the valve bores and nothing appears wrong
I found 1 smaller CB that came outta the valve body but not sure where it came from

Now to the 1-2/3-4 accumulator
The 1-2 had no springs in it but had a large washer 3 nuts the spring plate and a cracked/wedged piston in that order

The 3-4 had the spring but upon removing the piston the feed hole on the bottom of the bore had a CB plugging it up or wedged in there...

It's a crap shoot if this thing is shot or not but I figured it can't hurt anything so I ordered a transgo kit(hd2),new separator plate,and corvette servo...ill swing by a transmission shop and try to get ahold of a new 1-2 accumulator housing and piston and some new cb's (8 of the ford Torflon)....worse case I figure these parts can be used in a rebuild if it's needed.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by spcearle
The 3-4 had the spring but upon removing the piston the feed hole on the bottom of the bore had a CB plugging it up or wedged in there...
I responded to your other post.....

I do not like this particular mod, It blocks the 4th Accumulator.....But also cuts off the lube flow to the Lo/Reverse Clutches while overruning in 4th gear. If you don't drive hundreds of miles straight probably no harm will come of it.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Well this trans was rebuilt about 12 yrs ago and has about 30,000 mild on it, a lot of te miles came from cross state 3-400 mile trips between upstate ny and NYC
Old 08-09-2017, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Well hopefully tomorrow I will know if my trans had a little more life left to it or if it needs to be pulled...
Just finished all the valve body stuff... New separator plate,hd2 kit, 1-2 accumulator and piston, CB where they are supposed to be...

Checked all sensors to verify they are good

Cleaned all valves to make sure they aren't worn and sticking

Installed a corvette servo since mine didn't have one(next size smaller was in it)

All that is left is to put on the pan and to fill it up after I do one last visual inspection first tomorrow when I am more focused.....
Old 08-10-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well it looks like I'm **** out of luck here...got it back together and once it hits 3rd it falls on it's face and just barely moves so when the funds permit I'll have to pull it and get a new one built for it
Old 08-16-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Ok well I'm back to being stumped on this....
Ii purchased an older snap on ethos so I could see what was going on with the solenoids...

I put the rear up on stands so I could run it in my garage and here's a few things that have me puzzled
The a,b solenoids seam to be doing what they are supposed to be doing in their retrospective gears...
The 2-3 remains on and only breifly turns off on deceleration for a split second and then turns back on

I was able to get 1-2,and then 2-3 shift where it hung up till I smacked the gas and brought it upto about 6400 rpm and it the shifted into 4th
My teams temp read about 150 so I know it had heated up enough....
I will run thru the gears 1 more time after the car cools to see what it does b4 I drop it and try it on the road..

I am researching a new transmission now but money is tight so it will be a while till I can drop the funds on a good one and send my converter in to be checked but in the meantime I'm trying to get this one going since it was fine for the longest time b4 out of no where started acting up( mind you the first issue I had was when it got hung up into 1st gear)....

Any thoughts on this or input would be great...I have a pressure gauge in order so I will get some of those readings when it gets here
Old 08-16-2017, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

Ok took it for a drive...
Tried it in drive had only 1st and second until I moved it into OD and then it eventually hit 3rd with a really slow lazy shift....
My scanner showed a couple weird to me items
1st/ in transmission data mode the rpms are reading 18420?
2nd/ the current gear status is showing 3rd but does not go down till I come to a complete stop....
Any info or input would be great

Just to add to when all this started a few weeks back I was driving the car around and after about 10 miles it would start bogging and slipping...shut it down and then the same thing again...3rd time that night she drove fine for the 20 miles home..
Replaced the icm thinking I had an ignition issue...

The next day was when I lost the 3rd gear engagement completely....

The only issue I'm seeing now is the occasional low res code from my opti on startup....

Quick Reply: 4l60e shifting issues