Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e issues

Ive searched it here and online but nothing exactly the same and not much in the way follow up posts for a solution. I know there are some good trans guys on here that may know what she going on.

I drive this 2004 2500hd with stock 4l80e about once every 2 weeks now. Upon initial start, There is now about a 5 second delay before it engages reverse or forward gears. I noticed the first time it shifted up into 2nd and 3rd it was very hard. After that it'll drive fine all day long with no issues. Fluid is clean and level is good. I was going to try a new filter, anything else I should be looking at?

Anybody have any insight on this?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

How long does it sit between uses? I ask because it sounds like the Converter is draining it's charge back into the pan. If the Stator Bushings are heavily worn.....It won't take long.

How many miles are on this rig? Any stored codes in the PCM?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply,

Lately it sits 1-2 weeks between uses. Just about 200k miles on it. No check engine lights ever, I didn't scan it for codes.

If it's the tq conv draining, I shouldn't worry?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

It does sound like drain back, but with high mileage could be other things, like seals are hard-Sonnax makes a valve for the pump to help drain back, can be installed with the pan off. Ck your fluid level after shutting it off, then again after it has sat, see how much higher on the stick.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, onto something here. It sat just overnight. Didn't sit long enough for the delayed shift, but I checked the level in the pan before starting, then again after starting and shutting off it was over an inch lower on the dipstick. The delay is never long enough to be able to check it with the engine running.

Quick Reply: 4l80e issues