Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCi x6

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 04:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCi x6

I have a six speed transmission wich I have a problem with. Instead of getting 3rd gear I get 1st and instead of 4th gear I get 2nd. It does not make any different if I go automatic or manual. Everything else is just working fine. Is there anyway to reset the memory in the gearbox beside cutting the electrics?
Can it be a sensor in the gearbox?
There is no error codes
I use the EZ-TCU. I have put the power out for about 48h, it did not make any difference.

I have been driving about 2000km when the problem showed up, no losing of power during that time.
The problem first showed up under acceleration.

Please have indulgence with my english, i´m typing you from Sweden :-)
Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andreas Allard
I have a six speed transmission wich I have a problem with. Instead of getting 3rd gear I get 1st and instead of 4th gear I get 2nd. It does not make any different if I go automatic or manual. Everything else is just working fine. Is there anyway to reset the memory in the gearbox beside cutting the electrics?
Can it be a sensor in the gearbox?
There is no error codes
I use the EZ-TCU. I have put the power out for about 48h, it did not make any difference.

I have been driving about 2000km when the problem showed up, no losing of power during that time.
The problem first showed up under acceleration.

Please have indulgence with my english, i´m typing you from Sweden :-)
Andreas,

I have a 6X but it's controlled with TCI's old Red Box unit in a car, so I'm not familiar with how the EZ-TCU works yet. I will be installing a 6X in a current build that uses EZ unit, so I decided to read the online instructions for unit.

Reading through the online instructions, you might want to verify that the EZ unit is installed per instruction. Seems there are several things that can cause shifting problems.

I would also recommend you verify TPS pickup wiring is not loose.

Once you verify unit is not being effect by electrical noise due to mounting location, ect. Then because you are overseas, might want to post problem you are having on TCI's Help Forum.

They also have a live chat option as well as email option. Time Zone difference between Sweden and US Central time Zone may be a problem for you with their live chat option.

All else fails, I believe there is still a TCI employee on this Forum that should be able to get you help with problem. If that happen post back here an I'll try contacting him for you.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:35 AM
Teching In

Hi, and thank you for answering!

I don´t think there is any problem with the installation of the EZ-TZU. It has been installed for about 5000km (3 100 miles) without problems. The problem came up under accelaration.
I have sent email to TCI without any respond.
I also had a live chat at with a guy called Dallas at TCI, but he had never heard of the problem and asked me to make a contact with Kevin Winstead at Compcams witch I understand has worked at TCI developing this gearbox.
He has not respond my email after he asked if I use the EZ-TZU.
I am now going to check the resistance at the solenoids to rule out that they are not the problem and check all the wiring again including the TPS.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Andreas,

Kevin was the person I was going to put you in touch with at TCI. I know both he and Dallas.

Based on your description of problem, sounds if trans is shifting as if it was a 4L80/85E. Sounds like you are aware of that.

1st gear is not being over-driven to produce 6X's 2nd gear ratio, and stock 2nd gear ratio (6X 3rd gear) is not being over-driven to produce 6x's 4th gear ratio. 5th gear would be stock 3rd gear ratio of 1-1.

EZ wise, I'm guessing you have to input Rear gear ratio into it, along with tire size, maybe calibrate TPS idle position an full throttle position at initial setup.

Since it can control more than one GM automatic, did you have to select version of transmission you are trying to control with it at initial setup?

If so has the EZ module lost that data or not?

Sounds like power lost to Overdrive solenoids in transmission.

Anyway I'm just guessing.

Since I'll be installing 6x with EZ controller, sometime this year I hope, that is if we can get the bodywork finished on car, I'm interested in what happened, Controller or trans internals with yours.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried just re-configuring the calibration on the handheld unit? Verify its on the 6X setting? After what poorhousenext has said I know the default setting is for 4 speed and I use the TCI EZ-TCU and can only assume its possible the unit could have reset to default.

Quick Reply: TCi x6