Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
Man I want to buy the "Master shift recalibration and assembly upgrade kit" from CK Performance, but they absolutely will not answer the phone nor call me back. I'm a little reluctant to give my money to someone who won't talk to me on the phone. The main thing I wanted to ask them was if that kit has the parts to rollerize this 4L80..... Looks like I see the TH350 pump bearing and shims top right corner, but it would be nice to confirm....

I guess I need to start thinking about a different shift kit for this..... Obviously the HD2 kit is useless since I'm already inside the gearbox and have done the dual feed internally.
The CK kit comes with the parts to rollerize the output.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Man I want to buy the "Master shift recalibration and assembly upgrade kit" from CK Performance, but they absolutely will not answer the phone nor call me back. I'm a little reluctant to give my money to someone who won't talk to me on the phone. The main thing I wanted to ask them was if that kit has the parts to rollerize this 4L80..... Looks like I see the TH350 pump bearing and shims top right corner, but it would be nice to confirm....

I guess I need to start thinking about a different shift kit for this..... Obviously the HD2 kit is useless since I'm already inside the gearbox and have done the dual feed internally.
CK performance does not believe in answering the phone. . Or checking messages and returning calls, even when it's to their benefit. I went through this a few months ago with them.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Some great info in here. I will be going down this road and using this as a resource in the very near future. I am glad cline comes in here and shares his knowledge with us!

Looking great!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So cline you must think that CK Performance is OK to do business with? It is a little concerning that they won't answer the phone but I'm sure they are busy and get tired of answering dumbass questions so it's understandable I suppose.

Also, I have several checkballs from a grenaded 4L60, looks like I can jam one in the reverse feed of the center support. Are they the same size as the TV exhaust checkball from a 700R4? And what about just welding that hole shut?

I noticed that the forward clutch piston looks very similar to the direct clutch piston. Is there any reason to upgrade that one since the direct clutch gets upgraded to a TH400 style in the shift kit CK performace sells???

Game ova, did you ever get a hold of them lol?

rpturbo, yeah I was thinking maybe we could do a compilation of 4L80 how to here? I can take pics and come up with captions as I build mine up over here. And, we have cline offer his insight, which is a great resource.

cline, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us. We are very fortunate to have you man!!!

Where do you guys think I should mount my trans temp sensor? I was thinking just in the pan somewhere.

Last edited by ElQueFør; 02-26-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

So cline you must think that CK Performance is OK to do business with? It is a little concerning that they won't answer the phone but I'm sure they are busy and get tired of answering dumbass questions so it's understandable I suppose.

Also, I have several checkballs from a grenaded 4L60, looks like I can jam one in the reverse feed of the center support. Are they the same size as the TV exhaust checkball from a 700R4? And what about just welding that hole shut?

I noticed that the forward clutch piston looks very similar to the direct clutch piston. Is there any reason to upgrade that one since the direct clutch gets upgraded to a TH400 style in the shift kit CK performace sells???

rpturbo, yeah I was thinking maybe we could do a compilation of 4L80 how to here? I can take pics and come up with captions as I build mine up over here. And, we have cline offer his insight, which is a great resource.

cline, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with all of us. We are very fortunate to have you man!!!

Where do you guys think I should mount my trans temp sensor? I was thinking just in the pan somewhere.
Nope, after a while I just gave up.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What did you end up doing instead?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

What did you end up doing instead?
I used another forward drum I had laying around. There's more to it, but that's the gist of it .
Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CK always called me back when I did mine last year. Took a while sometimes (a couple days once) but he would always call if I left a message.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have ordered several thousands of dollars worth of parts from CK, They are a little slow to ship things out at times, But I always get my parts & happy with the products. You can order online with confidence.

The 700R4 TV Exhaust checkball is about .015" larger than a standard 1/4" checkball.

The 4L80E Forward & Direct piston are different than each other......But you can run a TH400 piston in the froward drum, But the center sealing ring will no longer be effective, So you might as well remove it!
Because of the different heights of TH400 pistons.......You have to make SURE that the Wave/Cushion plate CANNOT slip under the relief cut it the drum!!!!
The Forward Clutch is static in every forward gear. The TH400 piston upgrade is not needed.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have left 3 or 4 messages with CK and none of them get returned. Just left the last one 5 minutes ago.

Aaaaannnndddd..... Their website is fucked up and not letting me checkout with the Master recalibration kit......

So...... Who else makes something comparable to the master recalibration kit they sell. I'm pretty much done with CK. If I have to chase them around to try to give them my money that's pretty gay in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well later that night, I was able to push an order through on their website. The parts should be here tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to getting them so I can continue on with this 4L80 buildup.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reading most of the posts, a 1996 4l80e will work just fine in my 99 trans am with the proper mods/conversion parts?
Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Well later that night, I was able to push an order through on their website. The parts should be here tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to getting them so I can continue on with this 4L80 buildup.
Did you get those parts?....
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ballfroguy
Reading most of the posts, a 1996 4l80e will work just fine in my 99 trans am with the proper mods/conversion parts?
Yes. You'll have to beat the trans tunnel, fix up the tune, etc. etc. I think so anyways. Hopefully one of these fine gents with an F body will answer that one cuz I'm putting this 80e into a K5 Blazer with a stout SBC.

Originally Posted by Game ova
Did you get those parts?....
Yep! I got them a couple days ago! I have been busy so haven't been able to do anything with it yet.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been working on the 4L80. I've got about half of the gear train in the case. Well all the way up to the center support.

I'll update with more pics etc later!
Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still slowly building this 4L80! I got the Ford AXOD rear sun gear thrust to rollerize the forward drum. I searched the part number, found an Ebay listing where it was advertised as such. But alas! It doesn't fit! And it looks like Green Sales doesn't carry the correct bearing anymore either! So I guess I won't be rollerizing the forward drum.

To you guys who have rollerized the output.....

When I was measuring the rear unit endplay I found that just the torrington bearing by itself got it within spec.. Adding shims to that would have pushed the measurements outside of spec.... Anybody else seen this happen?
Old 04-07-2018, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Yes that's fairly common. I usually measure the endplay before I take it apart, then measure the stock thrust washer and selective tang washer. Then I can select shims to set proper endplay. Sometimes you don't need one.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the confirmation Maroon! I felt comfortable with it but figured I'd draw on the community for alternative information and opinions if I could. Appreciate the feedback. I guess everyone else that was in here left lol!

I'm having trouble sourcing the Ford AXOD thrust bearing like I mentioned above so I'm going to go ahead and build this 4L80 without rollerizing the forward drum I guess. Wish I could find that thrust bearing but if it's this much hassle I'm not gonna mess with it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you call Green Sales? Never go by their web site inventory search!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Cline, do you have any info on rollerizing the forward in this manner? I've heard and read about it but never seen any solid resource. I've just always used a machined forward hub. Can it be rollerized without machining?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a 4L80 tips? tricks?