Sierra 4l80 swap *specific ?'s*

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra 4l80 swap *specific ?'s*

2000 GMC Sierra Single Cab
6.0 swap

Of course I have used LS1tech for about 99% of my swap/install so a big THANKS for that.

I understand the swap and I believe I have almost all of my accessories needed to do so. However, there are some small details I need some advise on because I either can't find the info OR there is so many different opinions that I am not sure what is fact/fiction. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what I have:

4l80e from Transbuilderguy (still in shipping phase)
New tubular crossmember and driveshaft loop
Tru-Cool 40K cooler
Nelson Performance harness or doing it myself (still deciding).

My first thought was to find the factory trans cooler lines from a 2500HD and hopefully they would be a direct swap into all the brackets and locations of the 4l60e lines. Opinions on that?

Then I thought I might as well upgrade to -6an braided lines. I've read that most people use 90 degree fittings coming off the tranny due to clearance issues in the trans tunnel. However, I believe that most of the swaps I read about were F body cars and not trucks. Does the Silverado/Sierra trans tunnel have enough clearance to avoid these fittings???

On to the braided line. There are many different companies that offer this. Is one brand better than the other? I know Jegs and Summit offer their own line. Are they generally all the same?

And last: Does anyone any idea if 20 feet would be enough to complete this job?

I appreciate any help someone could provide me whether it be link or just posts. I would like to have all my supplies here when the trans arrives.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

20' of braided line will be plenty. U will need the -6 4l80e trans cooler adapters. The longest cooler fitting goes into the rear of trans. U will need some pretty tight 90* fittings for the tunnel clearance.

The 2500hd line should work. But since your runnig a trucool 40k i wouldnt bother with it. Just run braided line and be done with it. I use the regular summit brand line and fittings.

Ive done alot of these swaps and i usually just cut the rear line and add a 12" piece of rubber trans line with clamps. Havnt had any issues like this.

U will need to add the front vss sensor into the ecm. (This is if u are doing a complete 80e segment swap.) Some conversion harness do away with this route.

With the nelson harness i believe u run the trans with a 60e tune and just disable and change some things in the tune. This is how my 80e swapped tbss is done.

Takes a napa 447 u joint for the stock driveshaf and 80e yoke. Yes the stock driveshaft will fit. U Will also need a 80e flexplate.

u will need to swap the white and brown wires in the main plug. ( this is if u were doing a 80e segment swap without a conversion harness).

Last go ahead and cut the ears off the side of the trans while its out. Makes for more header clearance!! Good luck!

Feel free to pm me if u need anymore help/info.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Yes sir, I knew about the trans fittings and their locations. Do you have a preferred vendor you deal with on those?

I still have to purchase a flat flexplate. I have 2 dished ones but want to see my trans/converter in person before I order just to be sure. I have read a spacer is required as well along with longer flexplate bolts. Correct?

The Yoke: Another thing I wanted to wait on to confirm my tailhousing/length on the tranny.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the harness as of yet. The sensor comment has me researching some more. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Usually russel fittings.

Yes depending on converter u use for the correct flexplate. A stock 80e uses a flat plate with a spacer. U can order a converter to use the stock 60e plate. I usually go this route.

Get a long 4l80e yoke. Depending on your trans u might have to cut an inch off the end and bevel it. Thats what i usually do.

Look up sloppy mechaics page on the 80e swap. Has all the wiring info needed.