Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E 5.3 Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E 5.3 Compatibility

Bought a donor 2000 4x4 tahoe for the 5.3 engine to swap into a 49 Ford f1. Since I won't be using the 4x4 trans from the tahoe I was hoping to use a spare low mile s10 4.3 2wd 4l60e. I just want to get the setup together and running for now, so my question is which parts from this combination can I use to get the truck together? I've read that the bolt pattern isn't the same so I won't be able to use all the trans bolts. But as far as the flexplate/converter go, can I use the flexplate that's already bolted to the 5.3 and then the converter that is in the s10 trans or the converter thats in the 4x4 tahoe trans? Thanks
Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

You would have to use the s10 converter if you use the s10 transmission. And you would need a crank pilot spacer. Not sure about the flexplate because I don't do swaps like this, instead I would take the good parts and tail shaft out of the "low mileage" transmission and put it all in the 4x4 transmission. What you gain is a transmission and converter that bolts up properly, and if you needed gaskets, seals, minor stuff it would be about the same price as stuff to convert it.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
You would have to use the s10 converter if you use the s10 transmission. And you would need a crank pilot spacer. Not sure about the flexplate because I don't do swaps like this, instead I would take the good parts and tail shaft out of the "low mileage" transmission and put it all in the 4x4 transmission. What you gain is a transmission and converter that bolts up properly, and if you needed gaskets, seals, minor stuff it would be about the same price as stuff to convert it.
thanks for the response. seems like the best option but I can't take a trans that far apart. got a quote from a shop for $800-1200 to swap the shaft and tail housing and their explanation was because it is going just as far into it as a rebuild