Sponsored by:

2008 Silverado 4l65e into 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado 4l65e into 2003

Hello,
I am new to posting on this forum. This is a repost of mine from over on performancetrucks, but my post got deleted and haven’t been able to get it reposted for some reason. I’m not sure if any of this is against community guidelines or if this should be posted in a different section, but I could use some advice/conflicting info cleared up for me.

I recently acquired a transdepot stage 2 2wd 4l65e from an 08 Silverado 1500 with the 15pin connector. I am trying to figure out (before I attempt to do the swap) if there are any notable differences that will stall me when installing into my 03 2wd 1500. So far I have only found that my truck has a 13pin connector and that I should be able to simply ignore the extra 2 pins as the pin out is otherwise the same as the 15pin connector, and my ecu is not looking for that input speed sensor. Can anyone confirm that this tranny is otherwise a direct replacement?
Any help is greatly appreciated

Update: After emailing transdepot and circle d tech support, I have been left with conflicting info. Transdepot told me that the 08 transmission case dimensions are the same but the input shaft and converter are different in addition to potential electronic incompatibilities. Circle D, on the other hand, informed me that all 99+ converters are the same. I have responses sent out to both, but if anyone can clear this up, I’d be ecstatic.

I have my complete 2003 4l60e available for any parts that are interchangeable and necessary to swap over. My original tranny has not failed in any way, this just seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade. At this point I am holding off on making any additional purchases until I figure out if this swap is even worthwhile or if it would be a better idea to off this unit and purchase something else.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Teching In

My 2008 4l70e worked fine in my ls swapped truck with 13 pin connector and 0411 pcm
Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwes6694
Update: After emailing transdepot and circle d tech support, I have been left with conflicting info. Transdepot told me that the 08 transmission case dimensions are the same but the input shaft and converter are different in addition to potential electronic incompatibilities. Circle D, on the other hand, informed me that all 99+ converters are the same. I have responses sent out to both, but if anyone can clear this up, I’d be ecstatic.
The input shaft has a reluctor built into it for an input speed sensor. Thats how it's different. On the converter end it's the same as any older one. The converters interchange.

I don't know who trans depot is but technically the converter might have a different friction material, stall speed, whatever. Friction material that doesn't match the pwm and chatters etc. And the input shaft is different. But in your case neither matters.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Great, thanks guys! I basically gave up on trying to get a straight answer out of them. I already figured I’d just bolt it up (ignoring the ISS and extra 2pins) and if it worked, great. If not, I’d wasted a few hours. Just waiting on my converter to come now. Held off a couple weeks because I decided to go a little smaller diameter than anticipated, and in turn ended up spending a lot more haha.