Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60 200 firebird shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60 200 firebird shifting problem

2000 firebird 3.8 ser 2 auto trans.
it is shifting fine until in high gear going on level ground it wants to shift back in 3rd then going up hill slightly in a load it goes back into high gear. i have replaced both ciliniods in trans and throttle position sencer what could it be
Old 08-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Could be a clogged catalytic converter, or anything causing lowered engine power. Lower power requires more TPS which puts it in a different spot in the shift table.
Not likely a transmission problem.
This is assuming this is a car thats been together and not worked on recently.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Firebird Pauses before going into first

This may not be the place to ask this but here goes.
My stepson just got a 2002 firebird and he is panicking about thee trans pausing about 1-2 seconds before it responds from neutral to drive. All other gears seam to work as they are supposed to. This is his first functional car and I am not much help on auto trans for him. I know the basics and can muddle my way but am guessing here. I am suspecting a sluggish solenoid but don't know. I don't know if there is a additive that can be added to the oil to help or if just replacing the offending shift solenoid is called for. He has had the codes pulled and none are set. Thinking he may have to have it on the road to pull the codes for the transmission if none are set. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please be kind as I am new here. Thanks
Old 09-05-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Leon Rembowski
This may not be the place to ask this but here goes.
My stepson just got a 2002 firebird and he is panicking about thee trans pausing about 1-2 seconds before it responds from neutral to drive. All other gears seam to work as they are supposed to. This is his first functional car and I am not much help on auto trans for him. I know the basics and can muddle my way but am guessing here. I am suspecting a sluggish solenoid but don't know. I don't know if there is a additive that can be added to the oil to help or if just replacing the offending shift solenoid is called for. He has had the codes pulled and none are set. Thinking he may have to have it on the road to pull the codes for the transmission if none are set. Any help would be greatly appreciated and please be kind as I am new here. Thanks
Seems like normal operation for a 4l60.