Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 Flexplate bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Flexplate bolts?

Hello, I have a 2001 LQ4 engine and 2002 4L65e trans. I picked up a ls1 flexplate for my swap "Pioneer 871019" but the original flexplate bolts are too long for the new flexplate. Does anyone know the size of the original bolts so I can pick up 6 more at the hardware store in a smaller size? I could also try putting a few washers on the bolts but would like to try and avoid that.

Original bolts too long, bottomed out in this picture

Crank snout

Old 09-02-2018, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

strange....the holes in my crank were thru holes....not blind
Old 09-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I took a look and found the stock bolts which looked like the same as what came off the original flexplate. Looks to be 11mm x 1.5, 1.000 in. UHL https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...7940/overview/

The issue is it's not fully threaded so it's bottoming out on the threads. I think I'm going to go with this kit from ARP which has threads all the way up to under the head.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...2901/overview/ which is 11mm x 1.5, .880 in

Have to wait for shipping to see if it will work.

Here is a pic of one of the original bolts

Old 09-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Teching In

So, I received my ARP bolts and got the flexplate bolted up. Everything looked good so I installed my yank torque converter on the transmission and bolted it up to the trans. I measured the gap of the torque converter pad to the flexplate and needed to add a washer between each one to get to the correct specs. However, after I had everything bolted up I turned the crank to make sure nothing was hitting and the flexplate makes a grinding sound in one place almost like it's rubbing on something. Could the flexplate be warped?

I took everything apart and tried it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. When I have just the flexplate installed and I turn the crank the flexplate spins fine. When I install the torque converter on the trans and bolt the trans up to the engine and turn the crank (without the flexplate bolts connected to the torque converter) the flexplate spins fine as well. It seems like the issue only happens when the flexplate bolts are connected to the torque converter. Any ideas?