Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flushing stock trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default flushing stock trans cooler?

just had my 1995 4l60e tranny rebuilt after it blew up. my tranny guy told me to flush my cooler for any debris or anything like that but I dont have an aftermarket cooler so im not sure if hes referring to my stock cooler in the radiator or what.
hopefully this makes sense to someone.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2018, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you should always flush the cooler and the lines after a tranny takes a dump ( or even after a rebuild ) .....dont want any trash left in the system to muck up your new tranny

Old 10-24-2018, 06:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Use 2 cans of that stuff at least. Flush both directions.

Then use an air compressor and rubber tip to blow the lines out. Instructions will say to turn can upside down to blow lines out...that doesn't work worth a darn in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd bypass the stock cooler and run an aftermarket one. Then you can just flush the lines with brake clean and no worry about what might have gotten stuck in the passages of the cooler depending how bad it let go.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by biketopia
I'd bypass the stock cooler and run an aftermarket one. Then you can just flush the lines with brake clean and no worry about what might have gotten stuck in the passages of the cooler depending how bad it let go.
Did you even look to see where he is from? Minnesota. You do not want to bypass the factory cooler in cold climates like that. The factory cooler can actually act as a warmer and get the trans to a more stable temperature more quickly.
Too cold is bad for a transmission.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Did you even look to see where he is from? Minnesota. You do not want to bypass the factory cooler in cold climates like that. The factory cooler can actually act as a warmer and get the trans to a more stable temperature more quickly.
Too cold is bad for a transmission.

Didn't notice at all. I know about the benefits and design of the stock cooler has in relation to getting temp up. OP could add a thermostat inline if he drives the car daily in sub freezing temps and by passes the factory one. Just making a suggestion. Also in regards to the cooler flush, check the ingredients. A Ford diesel class I was in years ago the instructor had breakdowns of a few different cooler flushes and two of them had water in the ingredients.