Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual lever position sensor needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual lever position sensor needed?

69 Camaro ls1 700r4. Swapping out the 700r4 with a 4l60e. My trans guy says the 4l60 e should have a manual lever position sensor on the left side by the shift rod. My harness was reworked by speartech and my instructions say nothing about wiring for the mlps. I was thinking I didn't need it but he says I do. Does anyone have any info how to wire this or if I need it at all. I have a call into speartech but with my work I'm can't always answer my phone. any helps is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Depends on what controller you have and how the wiring harness is set up I would ask Speartech and or your controller manufacturer.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-24-2019, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir! Was looking for a quick answer for my trans guy. I spoke to speartech and the camaro doesn't use a mlps it uses the trans Line pressure to inform the computer what gear it's in.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans Position switch

When I had Speartech modify my 06 GTO LS/4L65 harness for my 39 Chev 2d a few years ago they told me the PRNDL switch (attached to the gear selector shaft) was not necessary for trans operation and that they would remove it (although they forgot to). That switch tells the instrument panel what gear has selected, and provides info Park and Neutral start, plus backup lights. I have used a Dakota Digital GSS-2000 which can power individual LED gear indicators plus park/neutral and backup lights, about $100 when I bought it. The ECM gets trans info from the TCM through the big plug on pass side of the trans.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Indyjc
Thank you sir! Was looking for a quick answer for my trans guy. I spoke to speartech and the camaro doesn't use a mlps it uses the trans Line pressure to inform the computer what gear it's in.
I hate seeing this spread all over the web...EVERY 4l60e and 80e does this...its the whole point behind the pressure manifold switch. They both have 3 outputs (call them ABC) and the combination of which outputs are on or off together gives a logic level basis for the computer to determine the manual lever position.

The MLPS (sometimes called neutral safety switch) doesn't have anything to do with the computer on any modelhin...it is used for things like the shift indicator on the dash...reverse light engagement...starter relay interrupt, etc

So...if you need something to send out a simpler signal (on/off) for neutral/park position...reverse position (for lights typically) etc...then you will want the mlps

But as for using it with an aftermarket trans controller...I have yet to see one that needs it...and if I see one, I'll assume they are hacks for using the mlps