Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 c1500 Weird Trans Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 c1500 Weird Trans Problems!

Hello I'm new to the forum found some useful info here but not quite the answer i need! I have a 94 c1500 5.7l auto trans, have been told its 4l60e trans but have also gotten conflicted answers saying its a 700r4. My problem though does not really concern which it is. Truck has 300,600 miles on it original everything other than the rear axle. No major repairs ever no engine rebuild or trans rebuild. Only services.

Here's my problem. It started off roading not rough or too bouncy but some high speed n some loss of traction on rocks, not nearly as hard as ive driven the truck before. Heard a funny noise as i revved up the motor(in park after reaching my destination) turned out there was plastic pieces in the bottom of the Alternator which was no longer charging to 14 volts hut instead holding steady at 12. For lack of much money I had to drive the truck home 40 miles away like this and made it fine, until 2 miles from home i turned on the headlights finally and watched fhe voltage gauge dial go down under 12. Next thing i know half a mile later im slowing to turn into the auto zone parking lot and no acceleration whatsoever but rpms go up. Coasted into the parking lot having no gears at all including reverse. Parked it a few minutes with the truck off, turned back on and drove fine again, for another mile them did the same thing. This time i could hear what sounded like a bad power steering pump(speaking from experience on another vehicle) or maybe even like a clattering noise. So now, 24 hours later and with a new alternator its still doing the same thing. After running for even a minute or less it starts making that noise and doesnt go anywhere. Turn off at least a minute, back on and will move again for a minute. Charging system good now. Only service code present prior was egr code 32. Please help as i can not see how a bad alternator could've caused such a problem to come about! Im not transmission or electrical savvy at all, only mechanically inclined and not stupid. Fluid is clean and at full line when running, however I think i noticed the fluid level not moving after starting, which i read could be a failed pump but could the alternator have caused this or is this just awful coincidence?? Thank you very much for any help
Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,086 Posts

Sound like just a coincidence to me. Congrats on getting that kind of mileage out of that transmission, but I’d say your gonna have to have a rebuild. The 700R4 and the 4L60 are basically the same tranny, for what it’s worth.
Welcome to LS1Tech!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:10 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,086 Posts

Post this over in the transmission section. Guys over there have WAY more knowledge than me for automatics.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Post this over in the transmission section. Guys over there have WAY more knowledge than me for automatics.
honestly i don't know how to do that... Haha
Old 01-28-2019, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

http://twincharlotte.com/blog/30-common-4l60e-transmission-problems-repair-charlotte-nc/

Check out that site and see if it helps you diagnose the exact symptoms.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If when you start moves and after few minutes begins to whine I would say the filter is clogged. Yes this can happen and the fluid on stick appear clean.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I agree the filter is clogged. Drop the pan and if there is not a lot of clutch material in the bottom of the pan you may get away with changing the filter and fluid.