Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 convertor limit valve spring install???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4l80 convertor limit valve spring install???

I purchased a Yank convertor, and it came with the red spring, I've seen it in multiple threads I've searched with some claiming its not needed and others saying yes.....
All that aside I cannot seem to figure where it goes. Do I need to pull the front pump off to get to it? Any links or photos would be greatly appreciated, I've never been inside a transmission...
Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

The converter limit valve is located in the pump which must be pulled out of the transmission to get to. The pump is the first thing that comes out of the transmission and the least technical thing to do in there.

You should call Yank back and ask them if your setup needs it or not. I think they will know better than anyone. I think that spring comes with almost all their converters. At least this question about the red spring pops up a lot so i imagine they come with them.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

red spring increases regulated converter feed pressure.
I generally see no need for it. I think their idea is to try to keep the lockup clutch from dragging...but there are better ways to keep it from dragging than using the red spring
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

maybe @Yank wants to come in and share some tech on why they supply the spring, and what they are trying to accomplish with it. Racers do better with understanding