Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring in rear mount trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020 | 07:08 AM
Teching In

Default wiring in rear mount trans cooler

As the title says Im needing some help with wiring in my trans cooler.
Ive got a 98 WS6 and Im finishing up the 4l80e swap car was originally a 6spd. Ive got my trans cooler mounted in the rear of the car under the Ttop storage. Ive got a fan mounted to be a puller. i dont want to run the a toggle switch in the car. Is there a power source in the rear of the car i can tap into that will have my fan kick on when the car is started and shut off the fan once the car is off? would tapping into the antenna work? I don't use the radio since my phone is plugged in.

thanks for any info and help.
Old 05-08-2020 | 08:46 AM
On The Tree
10 Year Member

No- you’ll have to pull power from some terminal under the hood. This is where having you battery mounted in the trunk comes in handy
Old 05-08-2020 | 09:04 AM

If you did have the battery in the trunk you could wire the battery to a relay to power the fan. The "signal" to turn on the relay could come from the fuel pump.
No, you cannot run the fan on the same circuit as the fuel pump because the wiring to the fuel pump is already marginal and you cannot double the amount of power through it.
A fuel pump typically takes 10 Amps. Your fan probably takes at least 10 Amps.

Tell us how many amps your fan pulls and that might help us guide you in a good direction.
Old 05-08-2020 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Build your own hotwire kit and then double it up to run the pump and fan.
Old 05-13-2020 | 08:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrvedit
If you did have the battery in the trunk you could wire the battery to a relay to power the fan. The "signal" to turn on the relay could come from the fuel pump.
No, you cannot run the fan on the same circuit as the fuel pump because the wiring to the fuel pump is already marginal and you cannot double the amount of power through it.
A fuel pump typically takes 10 Amps. Your fan probably takes at least 10 Amps.

Tell us how many amps your fan pulls and that might help us guide you in a good direction.
Jegs states the fan has 5.6amps draw, its one of their cooler/fan combos. PN-555-60389

I wasn't planning on splicing into the fuel pump. I was gonna use the Key switch wire to the power antenna to run the fan. It would stay on until the door is opened or after a certain time it shuts off. Would that be a decent power source to run the fan?
Old 05-17-2020 | 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member

i use that fan & cooler on my malibu. it spikes to ~15A when it kicks on. run a dedicated 10 gauge wire to the power side of your relay and the fan +12v
Old 05-17-2020 | 12:03 PM

I tend to over-wire things, but IMHO a dedicated 12 Gauge or even 14 should be plenty big.
Here is a useful chart showing wire gauge sizes needed in Cars/Boats depending upon amperage and wire length, while allowing either a 3% or 10% voltage drop.
IMHO a 10% voltage drop to a fan which only runs when the engine is running is fine.
https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437

Quick Reply: wiring in rear mount trans cooler