Sponsored by:

TH400 & V2OD vs. gear vendors

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question TH400 & V2OD vs. gear vendors

Hey guys what's up?

I've finally got some funds together to do some more modding to prepare for the next level of performance. I've decided to go with an FLP th400 tranny and deck it out, but being a convertible, and mostly street car, I wanted to keep an o.d. gear in the car with my 4.11's. I have seen a number of guys going to the gear vendors unit, but was wondering if anyone has used the V2OD setup which seems to be superior in it's simplicity? Not to mention they are letting it go for $1435 out the door vs. $2200+ vor a g.v. unit!!! They have a 20% and 30%, the latter being the one I ordered, and bolts up just the same.

If anyone here has any firsthand experience with this piece, please add your 2 cents as I have less than 2 weeks until it's ready for pickup.

Thanks and may God bless us all!!! wether you like it or not!
Old 07-18-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get it, I was thinking about the gear vendors back in the day....I'll do it eventually......where are you in elk grove......I thought I had the only hopped up f-body around the neigborhood
Old 07-18-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2crzy4u
...If anyone here has any firsthand experience with this piece, please add your 2 cents as I have less than 2 weeks until it's ready for pickup....
These two units really are not directly comparable with each other in function.

The U.S. Gear V2OD is intended to be used like a dual-range transfer case in a 4x4, but opositely. It cannot be shifted under power just as you would not shift a transfer case under the same conditions. Basically, the way you would use this on your car would be to leave it engaged all the time and then disengage it when you want a strong launch or are racing.

The Gear Vendors OD is built to be upshifted or downshifted under any power and at all speeds. The GV has an internal hydraulic pump powered by the driveline, so there is a minimum vehicle speed it can be engaged at. It has electronics, it's only job is to prevent engagement below 18mph, when 4x4 is engage if applicable, and provide automatic enagement and disengagement. The control solenoid on the OD is a simple 12v on/off circuit. There is also a VSS signal generator that comes with it for the application. Gear Vendors primary target applications are Tow vehicles and RVs where the driveline must endure continuous high-torque load.

Quick Reply: TH400 & V2OD vs. gear vendors