Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E Low Reverse setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L60E Low Reverse setup?

I'm trying to set my build up with d3 as "tow mode" and d4 essentially "stock". I already got the GM053hd which applies the overrun in d3 1,2,3. What I would like to do now is to make the Low reverse come on with D3 so there is no need to pull down to 1. Dont want it to come on in d4 though to avoid any wear issues. I never even knew you had to manually pull town into d1 to get those clutches to work. probably part of the reason I burnt mine up

I plan on leaving the wave out of the low reverse to disengage the low reverse faster. I bought the 2nd gear super servo, and the high pressure valve, but I don't intend on doing any modification to make 2nd come on harder/faster, so timing shouldnt be an issue. (although I do want 2nd band to release quicker, any tips? I think i read something about leaving a check ball out? )

I talked to raybestos about what I wanted to do and how I used the truck in the hills with engine breaking and heavy pulling and they suggested High Stactic Frictions, and turbulator steels, so that's the clutch setup I bought. Anyone familiar with this mod have a recommended clearance amount?

Im really unsure of what "other" changes Sonnax made in the gm053 valve body for performance purposes, but I'm basically planning on leaving it alone.

Old 07-21-2024, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 594 Likes on 405 Posts

I would leave the wave in myself . Not having it can be rough on the case lugs and cause a rather aggressive bump into reverse.
Sorry I have not gotten back with you about the low/rev clutch mod , I will try and do so today in PM was sick yesterday some sort of bug then before that dropped my phone and broke screen so could not make photos

Old 07-22-2024, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries frank. I didnt want to bug you. you've already helped alot
Old 07-22-2024, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 594 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist_565
No worries frank. I didnt want to bug you. you've already helped alot
Honestly looking at a simpler way to do it, But will let you know soon,

Old 07-22-2024, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,275 Likes on 886 Posts

Not using a Waved/ Cushion Plate in the Low-Reverse Clutch can be very hard on the Case-Lugs.
This is especially the situation if you Down-Shift the Gear-Selector into Manual-1st under acceleration.

I would rather adjust the Friction and Steel Stack-up with different thicknesses to get a Second Wave / Cushion Plate in the Low-Reverse Clutch for people who frequently Down-Shift the Gear-Selector into Manual-1st under acceleration.

-Marcello III
The following users liked this post:
bbond105 (07-22-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the solutions for applying L/R in D3 or maybe D4 ?

Quick Reply: 4L60E Low Reverse setup?