Sponsored by:

4L60E stuck in second :mad:

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 08:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E stuck in second :mad:

Alright, i ran my car last night, 3 times
first run i didnt do to much of a burnout and boiled the tires running a 14.1 @ 103
Second run i did a good burnout but still spun pretty bad past the 60' 13.6 @ 105

third run pulled up to do my burnout stuck it in 1st spun them shifted to 2nd and rode it out then i put the selector in Drive. staged and launched (if you can call it that) it kinda bogged off the line jsut barking the tires slightly, but then it picked up speed quickly untill it bounced off the rev limiter repeatidly. my first reaction was that i left it in second gear but when i looked down it was still in drive. after thinking about it i belive the bog was from it taking off in second from the line. i ran a 14.0 @ 90 not bad for 2nd gear huh? i pulled back around to get my time slip, and when i pulled away from the booth it lugged along so i drove down the pit road to see if it acted up any, IT wouldnt shift it took off from 2nd and stayed in second never shifting. my trans temp was 150* before the run i noticed it was 180* on the return road, and about 190* after i took off from the time booth.

After letting it cool down for an hour it got back down to 145* so i tried driving it again, it shifts there is no problem--WTF ?

I've heard the computer for the tranny resets every time the car is started could it be the comp fucked up then it reset its self after i turned it off?
Old 09-18-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm betting You had a solenoid get stuck. When you shut the car off it reset. Did you get a SES light?

Computer in the tranny? Never seen one in there
Old 09-18-2004, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I'm betting You had a solenoid get stuck. When you shut the car off it reset. Did you get a SES light?

Computer in the tranny? Never seen one in there
No i didnt get any SES lights, just one really bad feeling, i thought i blew it .

I ment the part of the computer that controls the tranny will reset any errors after being shut off. not that there was a seperate computer in the trans.

Is it common for a solenoid to stick, what is the fix?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
Is it common for a solenoid to stick, what is the fix?
Yes, very common, especially a tranny with stock clutches. The closer your tranny gets to needing new clutches, the more it will do this.

The fix, stop driving it

Best thing to do is to keep the tranny fluid clean. When it does get stuck, pull off the road and shut the car off and allow it to reset. Usually one cycle of the key is enough to do that.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Yes, very common, especially a tranny with stock clutches. The closer your tranny gets to needing new clutches, the more it will do this.

The fix, stop driving it

Best thing to do is to keep the tranny fluid clean. When it does get stuck, pull off the road and shut the car off and allow it to reset. Usually one cycle of the key is enough to do that.
Thanks, im gunna get the fluid flushed and filter changed its due anyways, i have 36,000 miles now.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen two of my cars (my '02 Z28 and my '04 C5) do EXACTLY what you describe as a result of holding the stall too high for too long prior to launching. I've read the technical PCM info on the conditions that trigger this function. It's a certain amount of slip (3000 RPM if memory serves) maintained for a certain period of time (I don't recall.)

Stall it lower or do it for a shorter time prior to launch.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Colonel
I've seen two of my cars (my '02 Z28 and my '04 C5) do EXACTLY what you describe as a result of holding the stall too high for too long prior to launching. I've read the technical PCM info on the conditions that trigger this function. It's a certain amount of slip (3000 RPM if memory serves) maintained for a certain period of time (I don't recall.)

Stall it lower or do it for a shorter time prior to launch.
Cool thanks