Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello From Dave At Yank

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the symptoms you have described I would say that you do not have a 3000 stall but a stock RPM or lower converter in there.

BTW what was the problem with the first converter you were sent?

Good luck!

Last edited by JNorris; 01-05-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it was way off size wise for the mounting points to the flexplate if my memory serves me right. i know he was taking pics during the install
Old 01-06-2005, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

I don't think that the trans is in limp mode. If it was, it would only have two gears...2nd and 3rd. It would have a strong manual shift, however, that wouldn't cause the converter to not stall properly though. It almost sounds as if the stator clutch is slipping in the converter or maybe the stator was installed upside down. Good luck.
Kevin
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
I don't think that the trans is in limp mode. If it was, it would only have two gears...2nd and 3rd. It would have a strong manual shift, however, that wouldn't cause the converter to not stall properly though. It almost sounds as if the stator clutch is slipping in the converter or maybe the stator was installed upside down. Good luck.
Kevin
Anyone who builds torque converters knows that the GM stator can not be put in upside down it would not stack-up correctly and would not turn on the bearing. The transmission also bangs when put into gear and when it shifts which is a indication of to high of line pressure. The converter does not control the shift of a transmission.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock converter went back in last night, works perfectly fine now??? i'll let Tom post up details...
Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a buddy that works at a milwaukee chevy dealer, Heiser Chevrolet, where i tried to get him to borrow a tech II and he talked to their drive line tech about it too, and he said the same thing, it would throw like a PO 1807 code or something? and would only have 2 gears and increased line pressure so you cant destroy the transmisson

I had all 4 gears, no codes, or pending ones.

I reset the PCM, checked all wiring plug ins, no change...

So at this point out of ideas... We installed the stocker converter last night at a buddies house in a heated garage on a lift with no changes other than the stock converter, it performs like normal again. Soft shifts, flashes to 2500 when brake torquing in 4wd just like before

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 01-06-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Dave,
A converter that's too tight will also cause a hard shift feel. That fact that the reinstalled stock converter fixed the problem seems to lend credence to my postulate.

I'm not trying to say that you build bad parts, just trying to help ya'll troubleshoot.

Kevin
Old 01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BADDLS1SS
I have a buddy that works at a milwaukee chevy dealer, Heiser Chevrolet, where i tried to get him to borrow a tech II and he talked to their drive line tech about it too, and he said the same thing, it would throw like a PO 1807 code or something? and would only have 2 gears and increased line pressure so you cant destroy the transmisson

I had all 4 gears, no codes, or pending ones.

I reset the PCM, checked all wiring plug ins, no change...

So at this point out of ideas... We installed the stocker converter last night at a buddies house in a heated garage on a lift with no changes other than the stock converter, it performs like normal again. Soft shifts, flashes to 2500 when brake torquing in 4wd just like before
Tom after we spoke i issued a call tag with ups they will pick it up tommorow
when we get it back i will open it up and call you. This is why we call it R-D and why no one else on the market that i know of has built a converter for your truck type with the I5 motor. We will get it we love a good challange.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
Dave,
A converter that's too tight will also cause a hard shift feel. That fact that the reinstalled stock converter fixed the problem seems to lend credence to my postulate.

I'm not trying to say that you build bad parts, just trying to help ya'll troubleshoot.

Kevin
Kevin no problem i did not take it that way. Off subject i got allot of tci trade in's stacking up here would you or tci like to buy them back? Most of them are good except for the burned up clutch.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE AT YANK.
Kevin no problem i did not take it that way. Off subject i got allot of tci trade in's stacking up here would you or tci like to buy them back? Most of them are good except for the burned up clutch.

Classic Yank propaganda!

Yank sales must be hurting.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tom after we spoke i issued a call tag with ups they will pick it up tommorow
when we get it back i will open it up and call you. This is why we call it R-D and why no one else on the market that i know of has built a converter for your truck type with the I5 motor. We will get it we love a good challange.
I really do appreciate yours and Mikes help with all of this, you guys have been great in trying help me out along the way. You guys stayed professional the whole time and very understanding. Thats part of the trial and tribulations of technically being the first to do such a thing with these trucks as you mentioned.

Everyone has one of them projects where nothing goes like you want it to, but hey thats the world of cars. Im not upset with this situation at all, Its a totally new application and there are always bugs to be worked when trying to nail down what works best for this application.

Tom
Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Dave,
You can email me directly at kevin@tciauto.com
Maybe we can work out a trade for all of the broken Yanks that we have. Most of them are wiped out, but the billet fronts may be salvagable.
Kevin

Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I, for one, am always happy to see a manufacturer of parts we buy come on and discuss their product with us, the consumer.

I am so saddened to see the treatment they get when they do that.

That being said, I bought a PY3500 and knocked nearly .3 off my 8th and .5 off my quarter-mile. No other item I have EVERY purchased netted me, dollar for dollar, the change in ET that my converter has.!
When I got my 422 put in, Mike personally checked on getting me a quick turnaround on changing it from a SY3500 to a PY3400 while I swapped my engine. After I dynoed it, on the dyno, it flashed at 3200 ~ 3300 RPMs. I'd say that was pretty damn close. I'm still driving that converter and I've had it since about 2000.

Here is a run I have recorded:

1/8th-Mile Times BEFORE Stall: 2.05 60', 8.75 E.T, 81.16 MPH
1/8th-Mile Times AFTER Stall: 1.86 60', 8.47 E.T, 81.39 MPH
(This was with Nitto DR's.)

And I was not an experienced drag racer. Just a "twice a month" test-n-tune guy.

The only thing I was disappointed in was minimal email response and no one to answer the phones when I called a year or two ago. I'm glad they are fixing the customer service issues, because their product, in my experience, is great!

My only question, now: Can my PY3400 be upgraded to a PY3400Extreme and for how much?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 12:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your py 3400 might be an extreme version as during the build up or stall change we put in up grades and many py3400 orders got the extreme version at no extra charge to them!
You can send it in for a rebuild and it will get the extreme parts put in at that time. turn around time -- allow a few days.
For cost give dave a call at
775 826 9955
Thank's for the support
Mike
Old 01-06-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cablebandit
lol.....I would offer a 10 year warranty with that disclaimer. Hopefully customer service will be the big improvement to the new Yank. Good luck as lots have had success with yank converters
Dang, cb... what's wrong with that warranty?

Yank Converters, Inc. will warrant that each new billet torque converter sold by Yank or an authorized distributor will be free from defects in workmanship and material for a period of 2 years from the date of manufacture. Yank Converters, Inc. will repair or replace, at their discretion, the defective converter at no charge to the customer.
What's unfair about that?

The customer is responsible for any freight or shipping charges incurred by the return of defective parts. Customers must submit copy of installation/repair order within 10 days of the installation in order for the warranty to be valid.
I've always had an issue with having to pay shipping to return warranty items, but it seems almost everyone expects that. This part I don't agree with. I see how they would lose money quickly if they covered all shipping as well. I guess it should be shared, and as long as they send it back to me at their expense, I wouldn't complain to send it to them at mine. A shared arrangement.

Any shipping damages-claim must be submitted to the freight company.
That's pretty standard.

This warranty does not apply to unsatisfactory torque converter performance that is attributed to factors other than defects in material or workmanship.
Well, duh? Who's surprised at that?

Warranties do not cover failure of a Yank product due to misapplication, improper installation or maintenance, failure to provide adequate cooling or maintain proper fluid levels, misuse, abuse, unauthorized repairs, disassembly, or accidents.
Well, duh?

Warranty is void if the converter is subjected to abnormal transmission parameters such as excessive line pressure, non-stock programming, manual lock-up switches and SES lights. This warranty expressly does not cover loss or injury from use of the product.
Now HERE is where the BS comes in? Who, racing a high-stall converter, has stock programming? That would void 50% or more of the converter warranties out there! The loss or injury part is ok.

What is wrong with this warranty (except for the non-stock programming part)?

Nothing, IMO, as long as they honor the part they say they will.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased a Yank TT3000 back in 1999 and just bought a SS4000 today. The customer service is better so far. Dave has been real helpful and quick in returning emails. Customer service goes a long way before and after the sale.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Yank
Your py 3400 might be an extreme version as during the build up or stall change we put in up grades and many py3400 orders got the extreme version at no extra charge to them!
You can send it in for a rebuild and it will get the extreme parts put in at that time. turn around time -- allow a few days.
For cost give dave a call at
775 826 9955
Thank's for the support
Mike
Thanks for the reply!

If my 4L60E will hold up now, I'll take you up on that.
If not, I may be coming to you for another converter for either a TH400 or a PG w/GVO.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM

It is not an Extreme now. I did have a conversation with mike where he recommended I don't lock up the converter under acceleration (I was wanting to do this at the dyno to get max HP reading) because it was not an Extreme.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Dave,
You can email me directly at kevin@tciauto.com
Maybe we can work out a trade for all of the broken Yanks that we have. Most of them are wiped out, but the billet fronts may be salvagable.
Kevin

I would think this would not be happening on a forum by two reps. Makes the day go faster but..........try to raise your stanards higher than the average forum bench racer like me.

But since you both are hear, how about a test vehicle for one converter from each company? I am ready for a converter now. I have a new set-up waiting for that perfect converter. So I propose a converter war to see which is best. Instead of dualing on the board you let your converter do the talking. I provide the car, you two provide a converter each. Me, the consumer does the installation,testing by chassis dyno and track. I report back the results. Could not be a better way!

3300lb car, turbocharged 383ci @ 850fwhp with a hughes 4L80E trans controlled by a TCI controller, 3.70 gear and 26.5 tire. STREET CAR!

ps. I know you need more info and I can get it to you. Waiting for your reply.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

This thread has run its course. Feel free to Contact Dave (and Kevin too) if you have questions. I'm sure they will both be in and out of other relevant threads.

Quick Reply: Hello From Dave At Yank