Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

code 1870, but a little different

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 1870, but a little different

first of all, Id like to say hey to everybody, Im a regular over at LS2.com but needed to get some good info so here I am.

My car is a '96 v6 camaro, A4.

well, I have been putting this off for a long time since it happens very rarely but I feel I finally need to take care of it. I did a search and found some helpful info but my situation has some inconsistencies worth mentioning.
kinda long...

Usually my car is fine, converter always locks up, cruises at normal rpm on the highway.
But when I go on long trips my converter will stop locking up and cause me to cruise at higher rpms on the highway.
Ive driven for 4 hours and its fine, other times it screws up after driving for an hour or so.
anyway, here's the odd thing, when I slow down to city speeds after this has happened, when I accellerate my 1-2 shift is horrible, it shifts way to hard, then my 2-3, and 3-4s seem a touch rough but not bad. Now if I turn off the car and restart it, the 1-2 shift will be fine, the ses light will still be on, and I can drive a little bit with now symptoms, but they start again(but the 1-2 will be fine).
So in the past when I finish the trip I'll reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery and such. and when I start the car back up i have no ses, shifts are smooth, and the converter will lock up fine again(unless I drive a distance again).
Currently, my converter will lock up and the 1-2 shift is normal but the 2-3 makes a faint "clunk", then the 3-4 is fine. This is after resetting the PCM. and on a side note, today in one instance I started accerating and had less power than normal, then shifted fine, everything was good, didnt happen again. It was when it was real cold too.
So as for the main issue(not the last note), I am very confused, is it electronic? Is is the usual problem with the valve body? both? Im doubting torque conveter because its a v6 and Ive never raced it or anything, seems unlikely it would go. Its just strange, the 1-2 being rough after the long ride then perfect. Sometimes the PCM making everything fine other times not. This is driving me nuts.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car has a 4L60-E.

The 4L60-E in that timeframe, an early Pulse-Width Modulation model, had a problem with excessive wear between the torque converter clutch regulator valve and the valvebody. It is the bore that becomes worn allowing an excessive amount of fluid to pass around it which causes a loss in pressure to the torque converter clutch and eventually slipping. This is especially likely to occur at very low throttle positions while cruising at speed in fourth gear with the converter locked. Based on the programmed line pressure tables, line pressure is proportionally based on throttle position and there for highest at WOT and lowest at idle.

You have different choices, listed in the order I would do them.

1. install TransGo shift kit which usually corrects the problem if the bore isn't too badly worn. The kit includes a better-designed valve.

2. Install the Sonnax TCC Regulator overbore valve and the necessary valvebody bore reaming.

3. Replace valvebody.