Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default th400 kickdown

i have decided that i want to go with a transgo shift kit in my th400. going to keep the standard pattern instead of the reverse..this means i will have the modualtor as well.. it is to my understanding that with the transgo kit,. i can still have full auto shifts unless i put the car in 1st which would hold that gear until i shifted it and so forth. my question is if any of you guys are running this vs the full manual do you run a kickdown switch? i know some people say it is a must to run one so how do u rig it up? i have a wot switch already for my n20 so it would be kind of hairy to install another switch.. as far as the manual vb goes...i have pretty much decided to go with the above mentioned plan but with some pursation i might be tempted to go another route.. first off i am not going to run a t-brake..i have talked to people that have them and they say it would be hell to drive on the street all the time..like i said this is what is being told to me..not my opinion.. its the manual valvebody that i may be talked out of..is running a straight manual vb really that much more affective at the track? i mean when you can get a shift kit that can make you stndrd vb into a manual..its to my understanding its all in the pressure correct? with the manual vb it has full line pressure always vs..the shift kit using the modulator? i know you have to buy a whole new valvebody for the full manual so i guess its set up totally different,, BUT this would eliminate the whole kickdown thing...i just cant decide i kind of want to keep the auto body with manual option mainly because im told it will last longer..i dont know
Old 12-28-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Default kick down

Originally Posted by redbandit98
i have decided that i want to go with a transgo shift kit in my th400. going to keep the standard pattern instead of the reverse..this means i will have the modualtor as well.. it is to my understanding that with the transgo kit,. i can still have full auto shifts unless i put the car in 1st which would hold that gear until i shifted it and so forth. my question is if any of you guys are running this vs the full manual do you run a kickdown switch? i know some people say it is a must to run one so how do u rig it up? i have a wot switch already for my n20 so it would be kind of hairy to install another switch.. as far as the manual vb goes...i have pretty much decided to go with the above mentioned plan but with some pursation i might be tempted to go another route.. first off i am not going to run a t-brake..i have talked to people that have them and they say it would be hell to drive on the street all the time..like i said this is what is being told to me..not my opinion.. its the manual valvebody that i may be talked out of..is running a straight manual vb really that much more affective at the track? i mean when you can get a shift kit that can make you stndrd vb into a manual..its to my understanding its all in the pressure correct? with the manual vb it has full line pressure always vs..the shift kit using the modulator? i know you have to buy a whole new valvebody for the full manual so i guess its set up totally different,, BUT this would eliminate the whole kickdown thing...i just cant decide i kind of want to keep the auto body with manual option mainly because im told it will last longer..i dont know
the th400 only knows you are at full throttle when 12volts is applied the detent solinoid. lt raises the shift points and raises the pressure for better shifts. lf you use a truck valve body and plate that is pretty much all you need. a vb from a th 475 is best. good luck
Old 12-29-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

so your saying i must run a kickdown switch..dang i guess i might look into running a full maunual...just less of a hassle..out of curiosity what is the difference on the truck valve body? i couldnt really find anything on the th475..
thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Default kick down

Originally Posted by redbandit98
so your saying i must run a kickdown switch..dang i guess i might look into running a full maunual...just less of a hassle..out of curiosity what is the difference on the truck valve body? i couldnt really find anything on the th475..
thanks
a kick down switch can be just a on off switch that you turn on when you plan on putting it to the wood. the rest of the time it will drive without problems
Old 12-30-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think i can rig up something..have two WOT switches or something...wouldnt want to have to flip a switch everytime i got on it...that is quite often..hahah
Old 12-30-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john kilgore
the th400 only knows you are at full throttle when 12volts is applied the detent solinoid. lt raises the shift points and raises the pressure for better shifts. lf you use a truck valve body and plate that is pretty much all you need. a vb from a th 475 is best. good luck

John,

How do you indentify the truck v-body from the others? Also would this setup be good to 650 rwhp without killing the clutches? Most people want to put a manual v-body in one right off the bat, but i would like to keep the auto features.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Default ld

Originally Posted by PHIL H
John,

How do you indentify the truck v-body from the others? Also would this setup be good to 650 rwhp without killing the clutches? Most people want to put a manual v-body in one right off the bat, but i would like to keep the auto features.
a 475 trans is one that is used in comercial vech. motor homes etc. the trans will have the park brake on the output shaft which is a brake drum and backing plate etc. if you had one of the vbs in your hand and called me l could tell you on the phone. think about it, a snap on truck at 20,000 lbs with a 454 engine stop and go driving that vb should work in a 3600 lb car, right kilgoretrans.com