Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E No Overdrive

Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4L60E No Overdrive

1998 S-10, 2.2L
I am a new member and need some assistance if possible.

I have just rebuilt my 4L60E (clutches, steels, paper rubber kit, torque converter) and test drove it today. Everything is fine except no overdrive. Tried to shift manually through the gears still no overdrive. No check engine lite. Had my repair garage check with the computer however since he did not have the transmission chip we could not get any transmission codes. This was not a transmission repair facility. However we were able to get a message about the 3-4 accumulator (remove & check).

I do have a ASTG 4l60E Tech tran Manual for the 1998 but do have one for the 1998. What I found very confusing is the assembly of the accumulators. With the transtec gasket and rubber kit it contained a ATSG/ATRA instructions concerning assembly of the (1993 &1994)1-2 & 3-4 accumulators no information in regards to the 1998 assembly. It appears that some have two springs on the 1-2 acc. and one on the 3-4 acc. while others have none on the 3-4 acc. and the pistons are orientated diffrently, i.e. toward or away from the valve body plate.

Can someone advise what is correct assembly of the 1-2 & 3-4 accumulators.

I assembled as follows: 3-4 piston with legs facing the spacer plate (No spring top or bottom sides), "C" gastet, spacer plate, "V" gasket, 1-2 acc with legs toward the transmission pad one large spring with a small sping inserted inside, acc cover & bolts.

I expect the 3-4 piston is the problem but would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to why no upshift.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Default hey hope I can help

The 3-4 is the accu. in the case...install legs down...toward the case. Install spring then acc. piston...legs down toward spring. I'd mess with the servo first. Thats the more likely problem ....may have the piston in backwards or more than likely a cut sealing ring. Your 4th servo is the piston in the cover, the first one in....check it replace the cut sealing ring and get this unit down the road....hope this helps....Dave
Old 12-31-2004, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rock-On
The 3-4 is the accu. in the case...install legs down...toward the case. Install spring then acc. piston...legs down toward spring. I'd mess with the servo first. Thats the more likely problem ....may have the piston in backwards or more than likely a cut sealing ring. Your 4th servo is the piston in the cover, the first one in....check it replace the cut sealing ring and get this unit down the road....hope this helps....Dave
Rock-On,
I checked the servo tonight and found that all looks from my eyes OK. The square o rings on the 4th apply piston are factory cut at an angle when I installed them from the kit. The o rings on the second apply piston are also cut at an angle. No damages to o rings seen.

I did notice that these orings when fitted onto the pistons result in a loose fit of the 4th apply pistion. Also the 2nd apply fits rather loosly into the inner servo piston. Seems too loose to seal well & bores are not worn. Is this normal that the square o rings are split at an angle and the postons fitted with these o rings are loose in mating bores. I used a transtec gasket seal kit.

Is it valve body time?? Not tonite though its new years eve!!

Any other suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E No Overdrive