Sponsored by:

what do you think about this

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what do you think about this

http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/custo...&cat=15&page=1
i am going to have a local shop build me a tranny..he told me to bring him the parts and he would do it..i was thinking of going with this kit right here..only thing is i have heard not to go with the alto's on the street? it will be street driven so that will be a factor..i am going to run a modulator and kickdown switch for my th400.. instead of the full manual valvebody.maybee i dont need that much of a kit and should get the step down from it? my car makes approx..500 h.p on the spray but i beat the crap out of it.. i just dont know a lot about trannies and this **** is driving me crazy...i want to get everything together but just cant decide on what to get..AT first i wanted a full manual vb but since i can get a shift kit that will retain my auto and have the option of going full manual..i think this is what i want..BUT i have heard it wont hold near as good as the full manual..dammit somebody shoot me
Old 01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

any opiiinneeeeonnnnnsss?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Complete description of parts in the rebuild kit.

"Front Pump"
Late design front seal

"Clutches, Steels, Pressure Plates
5 Borg Warner forward clutches .080
4 Forward steels .077
1 Forward waved steel .060
7 Alto Red Eagles direct clutches .060
7 Direct Kolene steels .060
4 Borg Warner Hi-Energy intermediate clutches .072
4 Intermediate Kolene steels .076

"Other"
Borg Warner Hi-Energy extra wide intermediate band
Borg Warner 34 element HD intermediate sprag
New rear band
Complete set of bushings
Set of sealing rings (Teflon stator & cast iron accumulator)
Set of thrust washers
Hi-flow screen filter
Complete paper & rubber kit (gasket kit)
Trans-Go 400-3 (full manual or automatic) Performance Shift kit
Adjustable modulator
New HD bearings (all)
2 center support seal to case plugs (eliminates leaks, case to support)
New rear seal
You can't use the 34 element HD intermediate sprag unless you have a '71 or EARLIER or 4L80E direct drum (these two drums use different sprags too).
So you're looking at around another $100 for a used drum just to use that part.
You don't get a front pump, you just get the seal. Thats worded a little funny.
You'll need to have your direct piston machined to install the 7 discs, add another $20 for that.
It would be nice of them to mention the fact that you can't use their HD sprag unless you have the right drum for it.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks alot man..i guess i need to find a direct drum them...to tell you the truth i have no idea what that is but i guess ill start looking.. anybody sell the drums by themselves?crap after buying the rebuild kit,new drum,etc..were getting up there in a pre-built tranny stage..like i said i am not building it i just want to to it right the first time without trying to spend big bucks...(yea story of everyones life right..) with this maching what would have to be done..can most tranny shops do this or at least know what needs to be done? I am not dead set on this kit it just looked like a pretty good one to me..i have also looked at the tci super kits as well.. or even considered buying a tci ready made unit..the race units are supposed to be good to 700 horse.thanks agian
matt

Last edited by redbandit98; 01-06-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

A transmission shop should know what to do about the machining of the piston, ask first.
As for the drum, I found a bunch of them at an abandoned trans shop, seen the owner one day cleaning it out and he let me take a bunch of stuff.
I got about 9 drums and learned a few things.
The old ones come in shallow and deep, you can't put a lot of frictions in a shallow drum. Short piston and shallow drum=problems.
I also found some 4L80E drums, one was new in the box, it came with the 34 element HD sprag. I put that in my car. I built another trans and found out the 4L80E sprag and race is too thick to fit on a th400 drum.
Chances are if you find a transmission hardparts supplier and pick up a 4L80E drum they will give you the HD 34 element sprag and the race with it, I was told about $125 was the price about a year ago.
A trans shop even offered to buy those drums off me when I mentioned I had them.
I'm not positive but a 4L80E drum might hold 6 frictions stock, maybe even 7. Depends on the piston height.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

well crap man..so i porbably just need to buy the 4l80 drum/sprag combo..that along with the rebuild kit etc...its almost just as economical to buy a prebuild tci unit that is already ready to go..just dont know about how they hold up.. or i could just send you my tranny and you could fix it up for about $600bucks right?
thanks again
matt
Old 01-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Banned

I built one for my friends bosses truck for less, similiar to what you want.
If you were closer I'd do it for you, maybe let you help
Old 01-06-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea too bad,,i would really like to learn..engines are no problem since my dad has worked in a machine shop all his life...i really need to get someone to show me and get my hands dirty a few times to see whats going on..thought about trying to rebuild this one myself since its less complicated then the 4l60.. get a good maual and maybee a video..i dont know thought about perhaps using the money i would spend on labor towards a class at school in tranny rebuilding..only problem is they want me to take.."basic auto mechanics" first... i think i could probably talk to the instructor and get around it though.. i know it would feel good knowing i built it myself...kind of like the 1st time you start your first engine up..couldnt have wiped the smile off myface for anything...
matt