Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent TA mount need help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent TA mount need help...

How in the world do you get off the tail shaft housing? I disconected the drive shaft from the rear and unbolted lowered the tranny down with a jack but it only moved about an inch. Which wasn't enough room for me to remove mount it won't clear the tunnel wall. I can cut it but it won't help me put a new one in to replace it. I bent the TA mount when I was cutting some 1.50 60' launches about 6 back to back on a stock TA and rear end. I'm suprised it did bust the tail shaft housing.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:35 AM
10 Second Club

Have you disconnected your exhaust? I know on mine it helped to drop the exhaust to allow the motor and tranny to sag a little more.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Are you running a 4L60? 80? Or a manual?
Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

When i replaced ours, i had the transmission completely unbolted from the engine, i dont think you will ever get it low enough to remove the top bolt without fully disconnecting it from the engine. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had to jack the front of the motor with a peice of wood on the balancer and a jack. you are lucky to be cutting 1.50's on the stock rear. Mine borke in the mid 1.60's. I just bought the SPHON chromoly TA with the loop and the pivot joint on the front that mounts to the body and I love it.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Have you disconnected your exhaust? I know on mine it helped to drop the exhaust to allow the motor and tranny to sag a little more.
Damn.... I feel stupid, I looked at the y-pipe and didn't even think about the exhaust keeping the engine from tilting. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
When i replaced ours, i had the transmission completely unbolted from the engine, i dont think you will ever get it low enough to remove the top bolt without fully disconnecting it from the engine. Good luck!
The front and top bolt came right out its the rear bolt thats connected to the bracket thats not clearing.

Originally Posted by BKHAWK1
I had to jack the front of the motor with a peice of wood on the balancer and a jack. you are lucky to be cutting 1.50's on the stock rear. Mine borke in the mid 1.60's. I just bought the SPHON chromoly TA with the loop and the pivot joint on the front that mounts to the body and I love it.
I'll try the jack this time. As far as being lucky well I don't know about that when after about the 4th pass I noticed the rear starting to make a little whinning sound I think thats when the mount bent and after the last two passes it got a little louder and I've been driving on it since November of 2004. I think I put too much load on the pinion bearing.
I going to make my own TA that mounts to the tranny crossmember and test that out. I work for a metal fabrication shop so I should be able to fab one up pretty easy.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKHAWK1
What tranny are you running and what did you replace your rearend with?