Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-2 Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1-2 Shift

My 2001 WS6 shifts 1-2 early @5100-5200 but shifts 2-3 @5600 is this normal? If not what could I do about it. It doesn't matter if I'm on my slicks or stock street tires, either. My car just has some bolt ons and I recently put a shift kit in it and it still does the same thing. I did a search and couldn't find a answer to my question.
TIA
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

No, that's not normal at all. My '00 shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at 6k on the stock tach. My old '00 shifted at 6k on the stock tach too and when we autotapped it autotap said it was shifting at about 5,900 to 5,950. I don't think the tachs are more then 100 RPM's off even at WOT based on that. I'd say you have a transmission issue, PCM issue, or your tach is way off. Do you have an aftermarket MAF?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martingale
No, that's not normal at all. My '00 shifts 1-2 and 2-3 at 6k on the stock tach. My old '00 shifted at 6k on the stock tach too and when we autotapped it autotap said it was shifting at about 5,900 to 5,950. I don't think the tachs are more then 100 RPM's off even at WOT based on that. I'd say you have a transmission issue, PCM issue, or your tach is way off. Do you have an aftermarket MAF?
No Maf just SLP lid, Loudmouth, Tranny cooler and Shift kit. I didn't think it was right. I think it has done it since I owned the car. I have a friend that has an 10th anniv. firehawk and in the 1/8th mile we run about the same E.T. but I 60 ft. better than he does and I will run faster (higher MPH) yet we still have the same ET. I figured something wasn't right because I lose E.T. due to my low RPM shift.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know what to tell ya. When I got my first LS1 I was actually worried because I thought the tranny was slipping because it shifted at 6k. I asked around and almost everyone I talked to with an A4 said theirs shifted at around 5,900 or 6k too. Autotap confirmed the tach isn't more then a 100 rpm or so off. Maybe try and clean your MAF? These trannies shift partially based off a calculation from the MAF and any crap that gets on the MAF wires can effect shifting.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martingale
I don't know what to tell ya. When I got my first LS1 I was actually worried because I thought the tranny was slipping because it shifted at 6k. I asked around and almost everyone I talked to with an A4 said theirs shifted at around 5,900 or 6k too. Autotap confirmed the tach isn't more then a 100 rpm or so off. Maybe try and clean your MAF? These trannies shift partially based off a calculation from the MAF and any crap that gets on the MAF wires can effect shifting.
Thanks I will try that. Anyone else have some ideas?