Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4L60E issues...

Car drives/shifts fine, but my last time at the track scared me. I rolled through the burn out box, put the shifter in "1", and started my burnout. As soon as I shifted into "2", car fell on it's face. I let off and rolled forward, popped the car into "D" and staged. The car left really soft, and then wouldn't shift into 3rd. I lifted and tried to get back into the gas a few times, but all it did was bang the rev limiter. I coasted the rest of the way, and on the return road it felt like it was slipping. I stopped at the timeslip booth, and when I pulled away it felt normal again.

I got back in line and decided to see if it would do it again. This time, left the car in "D" for my burnout. Car didn't like that, was ok in 1st, shifted 2nd and started to push sideways, so I lifted and coasted to the line. Staged, car left harder, but spun because the tires weren't hot enough. The car shifted all 3 gears and ran the time in my sig on that pass. I did the same procedure later in the day when it was hotter and the car was fine again, but spun worse out of the hole.

My transmission has 70K miles on it, a TransGo w/o the washers, SY3500 stall, -6AN line right out of the tranny into a big tranny cooler - non-plate style. The car was tuned by NLP the day before the track w/ Edit.

Is my transmission taking a crap? The fluid level is correct, and it doesn't look/smell/taste burnt. Someone suggested it was a solenoid sticking in the valve body, but I have never seen an SES code for it. Someone else suggested a line lock because of ABS.

I'm a bit flustered right now... my car ran a decent ET & MPH, but 1.9 60 ft times are horrible for the susp/tire I am running. I have rear QA1's, BMR: adj. TQ arm, LCA's, PH rod, right rear air bag, larger rear sway bar, end links removed on front sway bar for the track, and 26X10X15 ET Streets on 15X8 Weld XP's.

Has anyone else had similar problems? You'd think doing a burn out in the water box would be simple enough.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your tranny may be in need of a rebuild, if it felt like it was slipping thats not good. The 4L60 can be built fairly strong but it costs some $$. Mike just sent my tranny to Century for a rebuild I have it redone about every 3 years.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember talking to you in Publix before Funday Sunday.... Dave - right? Got a link to Century's web site? Kinda curious how bad they'd beat me over the head for a built 4L60E.

I need to take this thing to a shop that is trustworthy and get a professional opinion. Mike seems to think it's on it's way out, or it got hot. But, I figure if it was either of those... the fluid would be burnt.