Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question on stalls

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question on stalls

dont flame me, im just wondering what exactly does a stall or converter do to make an auto car faster? how exactly do they work? a brief explanation would be appreciated. as i am only 16, i still obviously have a lot to learn

thanks
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It keeps you in the upper RPMs more. Out of the hole, you can foot brake it much higher for your launch. Once you're moving, your shift extension (how far the rpms will drop) will increase. For example with my 3500 stall I can foot brake it too 2800 or so pretty easy, and my shift extension is 5300 rpms.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try doing a search. That question has come up many, many times. www.howstuffworks.com covers torque converters as well. It's the best performance mod you can do for an auto car.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Try doing a search. That question has come up many, many times. www.howstuffworks.com covers torque converters as well. It's the best performance mod you can do for an auto car.
that is a great site....it should help you out...

if not, try searching on the web, you should get more than enough helpful hits.

As for me, i just got a 3600 stall and from wat i can feel is that now the car launches harder from a stop, no bogging...it just hits and if you had good tires (i dont!!) it will just go....

also, a stall is rated with a few things in mind...

brake stall= when you have your foot on the gas and how high you can rev until you brake the tires...

stall speed= the most efficient spot of your powerband..

str (stall torque ratio)= basically a number that is directly proportional to how "tight" or how hard the stall will hiut the tiresw from a stop. It aslo dictates your driveability of your stall. the higher the number 2.5 vs. 1.6 ,for example, the harder it will hit, the better you driveability but the less efficient your stall will be up top. (the efficiency thing isnt that big a deal when dealing with a good stall which has a high efficiency already.

Also, checkout yank converter site------------------------------------->>
you should find some good info there as well

good luck!!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

very, very informative site! what would be an ideal stall for a pretty much stock 4l60e on a LT1??