Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem launching after TC install.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem launching after TC install.

I just installled my TCI 3800 and took it to the track for the first time last night. Well this is what happened.

As soon as I launch the car goes about 10 feet and then kinda stalls and then about 75-100 feet later it picks up and goes. When it stalls the dash lights flash off and then all the lights come on ( like when you turn you car on) and go out as soon as it picks up again the check gages light stays on for the rest of the run until I turn off the car. The car is leaving real hard (M/T ET streets) but it won't do it on the street I can't make it leave the line like at the dragstrip. The only way I could keep it from happening is when I left the line @ 1000 and rolled into the throttle. But it didn't feel as hard leaving as when I loaded it up to 2 grand and stomped it.

I'm thinking that something is getting pinched a power wire or something when I leave the line. That or a loose ground. Is it something with the computer?

Anyone have some ideas? things I should check?
Old 05-08-2005, 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

stupid question- but how much gas was in the tank? i've heard you should keep 1/2 tank, although i've raced with it on E- but im not launching on et streets. just an idea, or check all grounds, check the battery connections and all of that bs.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
stupid question- but how much gas was in the tank? i've heard you should keep 1/2 tank, although i've raced with it on E- but im not launching on et streets. just an idea, or check all grounds, check the battery connections and all of that bs.
I had a little over 1/4 tank. When I rolled in to the throttle I went 1.78 60 ft.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:41 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

and what was the 60 when you just smashed it?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

I remember reading on here about the battery rocking backward during hard launches. The battery would ground against the body sheet metal and cause the same things that you are experiencing. Check to see if your battery hold-down is on correctly.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

If it weren't for the dash lights going nutz I would say you're hitting the limiter, and bogging. Mine would actually shift 1-2, bog, then back to 1 sometimes. I had it worked out by extending the shift points and rev limiter but it seems to have come back at least once. Sure wish I could afford a tune.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuzee
I remember reading on here about the battery rocking backward during hard launches. The battery would ground against the body sheet metal and cause the same things that you are experiencing. Check to see if your battery hold-down is on correctly.
I had a buddy do the same.... I would check this first as well.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

Better check that hold down. I went thru track tech last Weds and the inspector showed me how my battery was just sliding around. The hold down wasnot holding down. I had no idea!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuzee

Seen it happen alot, launches throw the battery back shorts evevrything car comes back down and boom power is back!~
Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

checked the battery and it was loose. I looked at the positive terminal and can see where it was shorting out at. Thanks guys.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Wow, that's a heads up for me. I smacked a deer 2 years ago and mine never budged, even though one front support buckled (battery side). Next time I'm under the hood I'll check that out. Good info here, as usual.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

any chance that you still have torque management. Did you get this removed, if not the car will bog until torque/power is low enough for the speed your going, than the car will act normal again.. Have it programed out...
Old 05-09-2005, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

did you happen to notice anything odd with your oil pressure after you ran because i had the same thing happen to me with the lights on the dash. I checked my oil and had burnt it all. a couple of guys at the track told me my oil got pushed to the back of the pan launching hard and "blew it out my exhaust". after i put some in a ran twice more I was fine. Thats what happened in my case...
Old 05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I did notice my oil pressure was a little higher than normal but I will check it tonight to make sure. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This happened to me at the track. I had a little more than 1/4 gas in my tank, not to soon after leaving the line the car just lost power(Like letting off the gas). Since our gauge's(SP?) aren't perfect, it's hard to know exactly how much gas you have in there. My guess is that after leaving the line all the gas is pushed to the rear of the tank, causing an air pocket in the line. However my lights didn't go on an off.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

I found a where the Battery was rocking back and shorting out. there is burn marks on the clamp that holds my ac canister thingy. I am confident that that was my problem.

Search this Thread