Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to keep your tranny in good shape!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to keep your tranny in good shape!?

I was reading a little bit on here, and I pretty much gathered the most important things about keeping your tranny in good shape. Change the fluid and avoid WOT downshifts.. but that rises a question, I useally avoid WOT downshifts, BUT I downshift it into first if Im gonna try to line up a race, and keep it in lower RPMS to see if they wanna race, if not I put back in D... and as far as highway goes I just keep it 2nd or overdrive .. when I do keep it in gear I leave it a low rpms.. but is it ok to leave it in gear like that for any amount of time?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Banned

yea i think you're fine just taking it easy on downshifts... that's all i have to say about that.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is what i do:
change the fluid often....maybe none in the winter but 3 times from spring to fall. (racing time)

NEVER get on it with tranny temps over 200
At the track i pull the shifter down to first...launch and then move it straight up to OD.
I never do a 4-3 or 4-2 wot downshift. I hit the gas enuff to get it to drop a gear and THEN floor it.

Pulling it down to 1st on launch DOES engage SOMETHING else....tranny guy will have to tell you what. My builder, RockOn transmissions told me to do this. I forgot once and while stalling it up, remembered...pulled it down to 1st and felt the car lurch forward some like it had more clutches or something so I know SOMETHING is there.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default hey

Hey , morning Jerry. What Jerry is talking about is launching...in the D, or OD when you launch your put all of the thrust on the low roller clutch. however when your in manual Low your also on the low/ rev. clutch. So your clutch is backing up your mechanical low roller. ...Hope this helps...Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rock-On
Hey , morning Jerry. What Jerry is talking about is launching...in the D, or OD when you launch your put all of the thrust on the low roller clutch. however when your in manual Low your also on the low/ rev. clutch. So your clutch is backing up your mechanical low roller. ...Hope this helps...Dave
So it's actually best to launch in, say, 2 rather than D? Or would you have to put it in 1? I wouldn't feel safe launching mine in one, I would be short on time to get it up to D.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I leave mine in D not OD. OD is just to cruise and save gas.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default hey

Heres the deal....no to the manual 2nd. Manual 1st okay. When we test these units on the dyno, we have found that on the shifts, 1-2,2-3,3-4, are faster and with less of a pressure drop between shifts, while in the OD position... from a performance stand point this is what you would want. I really like the recovery time after shift in OD, Its very dramatic. I hope this helps...Dave
Old 06-14-2005, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rock-On
Heres the deal....no to the manual 2nd. Manual 1st okay. When we test these units on the dyno, we have found that on the shifts, 1-2,2-3,3-4, are faster and with less of a pressure drop between shifts, while in the OD position... from a performance stand point this is what you would want. I really like the recovery time after shift in OD, Its very dramatic. I hope this helps...Dave
Seriously? I've always read that it's best to race with it in D and not OD. Would this still hold true on a rebuilt, vacuum modulated tranny?

In your opinion what would be the best way to go about a freeway roll. Should it just be avoided flat out, or could you drop the shifter down to 2, punch it, then slid it back up to D or OD?
Old 06-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Teching In

When I highway race, if I do drop into 2nd.. when I got WOT from second and put it into OD it wont shift .. it stays in 2nd until it hits redline.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

I was told to leave it in D after my converter install. I don't use OD unless I'm cruising.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
I was told to leave it in D after my converter install. I don't use OD unless I'm cruising.
That's what I've been doing for the past week since I got my rebuilt tranny back. I use D unless I"m going 50 or above and will be for more than a few blocks. This way it locks up in third as low as 35 mph. Seems like the bst of both worlds, the programming is more to my liking concerning shifts in D, locked converter early keeps heat buildup down and it's supposed to be better for WOT runs. Or so I thought...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yep that's exactly what I do. Don't need to kill my tranny too early now.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

I do pretty much as already stated. I' ll drive around town in D, then on the freeway I will go into OD. A good tune post 'verter install is a blessing. Now, when you guys above say do not go WOT to have the car downshift, do you mean to manually shift, say into second, then go WOT?

Sorry. Not so smart...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

One of the hardest things on these trannies is apparently driving along in D/OD at about 60 mph, floor it and WOT downshift 4-2 or 3-2.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
9 Second Club

Hey Dave! Yeah what you said..pull it down in 1st...launch and then move the shifter to OD somewhere down the track Rock On tests their trannys on a tranny dyno...thats how its supposed to be done!!!