Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what trans for my bracket car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what trans for my bracket car?

What trans are you guys using in your bracket racecars 1/8th mile?
1998 Z28
It currently runs 7.6x stock heads but I may upgrade heads next month
3.73 moser spool
I am looking for a consistant transmision and I want a transbrake on it.
Will my 3500 converter work out of the stock trans?
Anything else to look for when changing trans over?
I am planning on replacing the trans when it breaks and would like to run a delay box on it.

thanks for any help
Old 06-22-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

my car is dead consistent with teh 4L60e. just keep it under 400 rwtq and that tranny is fine.

why would you want a transbrake a bracket car? shocking the tires is a bad thing i thought for consistent 60' times.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
why would you want a transbrake a bracket car? shocking the tires is a bad thing i thought for consistent 60' times.
For one thing, the transbrake will help with lower and more consistent reaction times. (the finger is quicker than the foot) This has been tested and proven.

You won't necessarily "shock the tires" with a transbrake once you get used to it. Just a matter of how much stall you leave on, and you can find the rpm which does not shock your tires.

As long as the class you run your car in allows transbrakes, you will be more consistent on the tree with one. Just takes some practice, and nobody who has a transbrake would ever go back to foot braking in bracket racing, or any other kind of sportsman drag racing for that matter.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

so should I go with a powerglide or th350 or th400?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
so should I go with a powerglide or th350 or th400?
Depends on your setup and your goals. Most go from the 4L60E and move right to the TH400. They are heavy, and the first gear ratio is not as deep as the 4L60E, but they are very strong and if you really want the OD, you can have one built with the "Gear Vendors" OD. Also if cost is no object, you can have Rossler (or a similar reputable trans builder) build you a TH400 with a lower first gear ratio.

It's a given that you will have to change out your drive shaft and yokes. For 1/8 mile racing, you probably need that lower first gear swap. Rossler has a good rep for building race prepped trannies that hold up to big HP.

I plan to run my "race prepped" 4L60E until it goes south on me, and then make the move to a TH400 w/gear vendors OD. When you get to a certain HP level, the GM 700-R4 family of trannies just won't hold up. I personally like my OD, because I still drive mine on the street and highway, so I will shell out the extra $$$ for the gear vendors OD. Also will go with a transbrake at that time. If there was a transbrake available for the 4L60E, I would already have one.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 06-25-2005 at 06:12 PM.