Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help changing tranny fluid??

Old 07-05-2005, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help changing tranny fluid??

hey yall, ive always been a manual tranny guy so i dont know much about changing tranny fluid. i will be changing my g/f's tranny fluid this weekend and i just wanted to know if theres a write up on it anywhere?? she has an auto v6 camaro.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Restricted User

Jack it up, slightly lower in the rear is always good since the stock pan doesnt have a drain plug. Loosen the pan bolts, more so in the rear and it will begin to drain. Once most is drained begin removing bolts from rear of pan working forward, drop pan. Let drip drain while you clean off the magnet inside the pan, remove the gasket and any dirt, I clean the exterior of the pan as well. Pull down on the filter and it should slide out of the sealing cup, then remove the sealing cup, its kind of compressed into the end of where the dipstick goes, but angle a screwdriver (careful not to gaul the sides of the trans) or pull on the cup with a pair of needle nose, remove it and replace with a new cup. Replace new filter seating it into the cup. Wipe the gasket surface free of fluid. Seat new gasket on pan and loosely thread a bolt or two in to hold gasket in place, install pan with gasket. Wipe all the fluid down that spilled everywhere. Lower car, and fill with Dextron III. Be careful not to overfill. I have a truck pan, so my car uses about 6qts, then I let it idle, shift through the gears until operating temp, and begin the task of fluid level checking.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

thanks a lot buddy

Search this Thread