Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shifting on 87 GTA

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange shifting on 87 GTA

Hey all. My buddy has an 1987 Trans Am GTA with the automatic tranny. I have a couple questions.
First: Is the stock tranny the 700R4?
Second: If he leaves the shifter on the 1 and takes it up to redline - should it stay in gear or shift to 2nd? My other buddy and I say it should stay in 1st but the GTA owner says it actually will shift into 2nd. He thinks it has to do with the Hypertech chip he got installed in it. Now if he had an electronicly controlled tranny I could see this happening - as I had a 95 V6 Camaro that would do this, but what's the scoop on this? Does anyone know exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Launching!

I have many of 3rd gens and actually still do own an '89 GTA. Yes, the stock trans is a 700R4. If he keeps the gear selector in 1, the car should stay in 1 no matter how many rpm's you give it. I don't see how having an aftermarket chip would ever affect anything like this. By the way, I also had a hypertech chip before I had a custom e-prom burned, and the car would stay in first until I shifted it to second. I hope this helps. Let me know if your buddy needs any high performance parts.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98_LS1
I have many of 3rd gens and actually still do own an '89 GTA. Yes, the stock trans is a 700R4. If he keeps the gear selector in 1, the car should stay in 1 no matter how many rpm's you give it. I don't see how having an aftermarket chip would ever affect anything like this. By the way, I also had a hypertech chip before I had a custom e-prom burned, and the car would stay in first until I shifted it to second. I hope this helps. Let me know if your buddy needs any high performance parts.
See thats what I thought too, but he swears by it. I wonder if his tranny is just getting old?