Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converters???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converters???

ok I'm a complete newbe to TC's.....since the car i'm getting will be an auto i was gonna get a 3000 stall with 3.42 or 3.73's and a B&M shift kit....what does a Stall t/c do anyways and how does it affect driving???.....the mods i'm gonna go is Full exhaust, Shift kit, gears, stall t/c maybe, volant air intake(while it's N/A) and someday Procharger will 5 or 6psi. will a stall work well with those mods for everyday driving and just being N/A will everyday driving be good with a 3K stall? and can i really "feel" a diff with the stall and gears? thank everyone and sorry bout the long post.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

well, when your just cruising around, the car needs more gas to get up to speed, kind of like a slipping clutch, it's just the converter being loose, which is normal, the bigger stall you get, the more loose it'll be, but when you mash on it, WOT, the RPM's will jump to over 3000 rpms and then climb with a 3000 stall. Right now, with a stock stall, it jumps to about 1800 or so.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

First of all, happy 21st coming up in a couple weeks, I also turn 21 soon. I also work at Lowe's like you.

If you're going to get an auto Z and plan to do a stall, find one with 3.23 gears. The A4s were offered with either the standard 2.73 gears or 3.23. Find one with those 3.23s, the door code for them is GU5. The code GU2 means 2.73s. That way you basically can live with those 3.23s until you feel the need (if at all) to step up to 3.73s.

Next, if you're going to get a shift kit, don't waste time with B&M's. It's nowhere near as good as the TransGo shift kit. You can find it at many sponsors. Speed Inc has it cheap, so go to ls1speed.com for it. It's a much better kit.

Now for you talking about a Volant air intake. I do believe that they might make one for F-bodies (I know they make Vette ones), but they're very pricey and there's no need to spend that much money on one. You can get the same gains by simply getting a $100 lid. Most of the time, you can get them for cheaper if you buy one used. They say "a lid is a lid is a lid" and it holds true most of the time. They're all going to pick up right around the same amount of horsepower, so do you really want to go spend $200-300 on an air intake? I wouldn't. SLP sells some for $100 and so do most other companies. Unless you want a clear or carbon fiber one, then it will run you $150. But in general, just stick with buying a lid and put the other money towards more mods.

Now for your stall questions: First let me say YES YES YES you will indeed feel a stall! It is one of the best "seat of the pants" gains you can feel besides nitrous! Most people want to go small if they don't know much about them, but those people who get 3000 stalls get a bigger one 90% of the time down the road. (Although nice at first, a 3000 will simply leave you wanting a bit more). If you got a Z with 3.23s like I was talking about and a nice 3200-3500 stall, you're looking at running close to mid-12s right there. A stall (especially if you do gears at the same time) will shave off about .5 seconds from your quarter mile time. In some cases, as much as .6 or .7, which as a I said, is the best gain you can get besides a big shot of nitrous. It's seriously the one mod that us auto guys can do that makes those M6 drivers jealous.

There's a company called Fuddle Racing that recently joined as a sponsor. They're a company who is making amazing stalls for cheap prices ($450 shipped) and they're doing well. Their main guy, John Cameron, is a pleasure to talk to and can get you the stall you want. He'll have a nice converstation for you and figure out what would work best. I daily drive my Z and I just ordered a 3400 2.2 yesterday. For you, I'd imagine that he'd reccommend about the same, maybe higher, who knows? But to answer your question again, yes, do get a stall. You will feel it!! Most auto guys who get a stall say they wish it had been the first mod they did.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

thanx for all the info guys! with the stall being said i'll step up to at LEAST a 3200k stall.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Transgression
thanx for all the info guys! with the stall being said i'll step up to at LEAST a 3200k stall.
Excellent. 3200 seems to be a good first choice. With around 3200, some people step up and still go bigger, but for others it is just right. So I think that a 3200 would be a good choice (if not a bit bigger, hence why I went 3400).

Any other questions, feel free to hit me up on AIM at SROhlms. I'm normally on in the morning or later at night because I work until about 11 most nights. I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have if I know the answer!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm i think the car i'm getting as 2.73's....no positive but i think it does.....i'm not gonna put anything in intil i get 1.trans-go and B&M tranny cooler, 2. 3:42 gears, and 3. 3200 or 3400K stall and do it all at oonce and save time and a lil money.......oh and how does a 3400 do for mpg for ya Scotty-Z? and will my above future mods be real good street mods/newbie track mods??(the car does have the LM on it. thats it!) thanx guys! and u too scotty-Z!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

hmmm i think the car i'm getting as 2.73's....no positive but i think it does.....i'm not gonna put anything in intil i get 1.trans-go and B&M tranny cooler, 2. 3:42 gears, and 3. 3200 or 3400K stall and do it all at oonce and save time and a lil money.......oh and how does a 3400 do for mpg for ya Scotty-Z? and will my above future mods be real good street mods/newbie track mods??(the car does have the LM on it. thats it!) thanx guys! and u too scotty-Z!
My Fuddle 3400 isn't in the car yet, but it should be getting finished this Friday and shipping out to me. I can't wait.

As far as your mods, they sound like a perfect combo to me for a streep/strip car. 3.42 gears are often seen as the best in-between gears for an A4 for performance while still being able to daily drive it. The TransGo and B&M 24k tranny cooler are also great ideas (the tranny cooler is a must).

With gas mileage, most people say they lose around 2 miles per gallon. This is mainly because the car will be running higher rpms to get going and more uphill. However, if you do a lot of highway driving or driving over 40 mph, your mileage might not be affected too much at all. The converter will lock up a little before or after 40 mph (on most converters) and the car's rpms will then drop back down to where they'd normally be before your new stall. So the gas mileage you get then will be unaffected. I'm thinking of asking whoever tunes my car to have it lock up at about 36-38 mph, because most all of my driving is over that speed once I'm cruising and that way I'll save my gas.

The only other thing I can say is that if you plan to put on headers with that Loudmouth, it's going to get VERY loud. Plus, you're going to factor in that the stall will be running your revs higher to get you going, so it will seem even louder. If you want to hear a stalled car, I have a video of a guy's car on this board. You can hear how the revs go much higher from just a standstill and how much louder it will make the car seem. I'm planning on actually switching to a quieter/more mellow catback (I already have it) once my stall goes on, because I know I'll be too loud with my current setup.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Scotty, send that video my way!

I'm just doing the jump into either the SSF3500 or the SS3600 I think 4k is a bit much for me personally... we'll see when the time comes to buy it
Old 07-29-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

dammit scottyZ your teasing me aobut th eFuddle TC..i just cant wait to order mine!!!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Scotty, send that video my way!

I'm just doing the jump into either the SSF3500 or the SS3600 I think 4k is a bit much for me personally... we'll see when the time comes to buy it
Catch me on AIM at SROhlms and I'll be sure to send a couple videos of stalled LS1s your way.

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
dammit scottyZ your teasing me aobut th eFuddle TC..i just cant wait to order mine!!!!!
Scrape some money together and order that biatch! I couldn't wait to order mine either and now I can't wait for it to get here and on the car!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Nothing wrong with a 4200 stall on the street either. I run the SS 4200, and it is my daily driver. If you want those 1.5x short times you'll need a 4000 at least. Just get a big cooler.

Here is a video:
11.73 pass
All GM shootout

Ed
Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

4200! wow too big for me....this car will be my only car for a while.....ok what i have planned for exhaust is jet hot LT headers, TSP catted Y, GMMG cat-bac...u think it will be still to loud? if so i might have to get the hooker cat bac
Old 07-29-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Black02-z28 how is your rear end holding?!?!?...and u guys think mine will hold up with 3200Kstall, 3.42's and trans-go with B&M tranny cooler?? i hope so!!!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Any time you are talking a 10 bolt you are rolling the dice. If you get a good hook it is risky. I raced on mine for almost 2 years. It saw over 100 low 1.5x passes and then the spider gears went. I still managed to drive it home. I run a 12 bolt now.

The 4200 really is not bad, especially the SS series. My wife drives the car to work every day, it is truly a daily driver. My buddy has a 3500 and it feels just a bit looser. To really take advantage of any convertor you need some PCM tuning. I did 12.97 with a lid and nittos, then 12.4 with the 4200 and headers. With tuning (delete torque management and tweak the shift points) it dropped to 12.06 a week later. I added the suspension stuff and 3:73 gears and did 11.73 in good air, it had more, but the 10 bolt went. So far this year 11.82 is my best, still in bad air.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i can't afford to change the rear intil i get a pro charger maybe so i'm just gonna be carefull, also it's gonna a street car maybe see the track at least once or twice a year. so what did u use to tune it? I'm getting the 3200K stall, do u think i have to/should tune it?....hopefully i can tune it myself without doing a dynotune
Old 07-31-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

to da top!