Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long to install a converter on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How long to install a converter on your own?

I plan on doing the install myself (or with a few friends) instead of paying for it. If at least one of them was fairly knowledgable, how long should it take?

Oh yeah, and where's the best place to get some new decent tranny fluid and filter?
Old 08-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I used Valvoline ATF fluid from Advande Auto Parts and their filter kit (their filter didn't fit, bastards).

Lets see...

1 hour - Get stuff out of the way, drain trans, etc
1 hour - Loosening all the necessary bolt and parts
2 hours - Lowering trans, getting old converter out, installing new converter
2 hours - Bolting everything back up and refilling the trans

So 6 hours, and to be safe I always like to take my original estimate and multiply it by 50% to get actual time so you're looking at 9 hours tops I'd say. It's really not a hard job, just have to take your time and dont get frustrated, not alot of room to work under there. It's a good days work, but if you've got an experienced friend that can help out you can have it done is under four hours. Its really not too bad though. Only one way the tranny will come out, only one way the converter will go in, and only one way the tranny will go back in the car.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this will be done on a driveway/garage it should take no more than specified. It took me about 8-10 hours to do on my driveway. Using a lift it should take about 4-6 hours.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

2-3 hours if ya have the right tools and experiance.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Should be fun good luck, i need to do one myself i'd like to put in a 3300-3500 with 3.73 gears.
Good luck
Old 08-12-2005, 04:07 PM

Right tools about 4 hrs.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

It took the shop that did mine about 5 hrs. but the took the trans all the way out of the car and installed the cooler. I have put a converter in a C-4 in a mustang b/f in less than an hour but they are so much easier to work on than an f-body. This maybe b/c I've owned one since I was 18 up until I bought the Formy. I'm 31 now man I'm getting old.
If you are doing the Trans-go to it's 100x's easier to do the servo's with the trans out. Trust me I've done it both ways. The valve body on the other hand seemed easier under the car though. Maybe b/c I had done about 5 times w/i a week. Anyway good luck I hope all goes well so you can get to the track and post some numbers since my wife has GROUNDED me for a while and our cars are set up about the same.
BTW what is AIM I have no clue. Thanks

Last edited by exstanger; 08-12-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It cost me $200 to have mine installed and I consider it money well-spent ... make sure that the converter fully seats on the input shaft with three distinct clicks - or it will cost you a lot more than hiring a pro to install it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by exstanger
It took the shop that did mine about 5 hrs. but the took the trans all the way out of the car and installed the cooler. I have put a converter in a C-4 in a mustang b/f in less than an hour but they are so much easier to work on than an f-body. This maybe b/c I've owned one since I was 18 up until I bought the Formy. I'm 31 now man I'm getting old.
If you are doing the Trans-go to it's 100x's easier to do the servo's with the trans out. Trust me I've done it both ways. The valve body on the other hand seemed easier under the car though. Maybe b/c I had done about 5 times w/i a week. Anyway good luck I hope all goes well so you can get to the track and post some numbers since my wife has GROUNDED me for a while and our cars are set up about the same.
BTW what is AIM I have no clue. Thanks
What the hell? Grounded? As in how?

Oh, and AIM is AOL Instant Messenger. It's a program you can use to chat with people online.

By the way everyone, thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it to the fullest and hope that it takes me around the time you've told me. Not sure when I'll get it in, but hopefully it will be within a week or so.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

8-10 for ur first time
Old 08-13-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

its tight like a virgin under these damn cars. if u have the materials, i would suggest getting cinder blocks and making 2 long ramps out of them. then put wood on top of those. in the front of the cinder blocks put your ramps. this way u can drive the entire car up onto the ramps then onto the cinder blocks and have some decent clearence to work with.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
What the hell? Grounded? As in how?
Grounded as in I'm suppose to be replumbing our house and installing replacement windows b/f the man comes to do the vinyl siding on the house in the next 2 weeks but the trans problem kept me kinda busy for a while. I can't even remember how many times I pulled that valve body apart and checked everything. Then there's the video and pics of the last Mustang hitting the wall the only time she ever come to the track. She just worries alot. She also come to shop the other day and I was building an engine for a JR Dragster for my 7 year old and she was hot. She doesn't understand drag racing and doesn't want to. Claims it's to dangerous.
Anyway good luck with the install it won't be to bad just take your time and remember to keep everything real CLEAN in the valve body and you won't have any problems.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

it take about 4-5 in the driveway and if u have a lift u can scratch a hour off
Old 08-13-2005, 03:15 PM
Launching!

The first time it took me 4 hours with a lift. After that it get's very easy. Just make sure that verter is fully seated when you put the tranny back in. DO NOT STAB THE TRANNY THEN BRING IT IN WITH THE BOLTS.

It should fully mate up just by pushing it on. I learned that the hard way.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious how it's coming. How long did it take ya.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

the first time sucks, but after that changing convertors get easier.. at least for me and one other buddy. Will be doing a yank 4200 tommorow night as a matter and fact, I will clock us just to see how long it takes..
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can do mine in 1 1/2 hours using a lift and tranny jack....you just need to get the right tools and extensions the very top bolt is the hardest ....but 4-6 hours on the drive way and your first time is about right.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by exstanger
Just curious how it's coming. How long did it take ya.
Don't have it in yet. I really want to get it in, but I've been running around trying to get stuff ready for moving to college tomorrow. Damn school, it sucks in every way.

Hopefully once I get school started on Monday, I can try to arrange to get it in the next weekend or so. I'm getting impatient because I really want this thing in!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
its tight like a virgin under these damn cars. if u have the materials, i would suggest getting cinder blocks and making 2 long ramps out of them. then put wood on top of those. in the front of the cinder blocks put your ramps. this way u can drive the entire car up onto the ramps then onto the cinder blocks and have some decent clearence to work with.

NEVER!!!! USE CINDER BLOCKS TO HOLD UP A CAR!!! Unless you have a deathwish or can bench press a 3800 pound car, then don`t use them. Cinder blocks are for concrete work and concrete work only. They are very brittle and will desinigrate under the weight of a car.